digital coax vs optical

jdeal
jdeal Posts: 16
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Was just wondering what the opinion is on this. I went to a high $, nose in the air HT shop yesterday and was told that coax is better. I think I have read otherwise. They also suggested using ANYTHING but monster cable for a digital coax. Even went as far as suggesting using std RCA cable over monster. He tried to sell me another brand but I cant remember what it was. What do you think?
Post edited by jdeal on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    The general consensus is that coax is better than optical.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    To add to Aarons comment, mainly for durability. You'd be hard pressed to hear a difference. Some can, some cannot..I could not.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    I've actually used both optical and coax. the PS2 is hooked up with the optical and the DVD player is using coax. i can't tell any difference. It appears the coax is better built... it looks and feels more secure than the optical. In terms of signal quality... i don't notice any difference.. one over the other. Both cost about the same.
    I think that dude was just trying to steer you away from Monster cable. yeah there are other good cables out there..

Silver core cables seem to be all the rage right now over copper. who really knows.. i know that silver's cost a butt load of $$.

P.S. this is my 100th post. do I win a prize for that? ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    quality wise, the differences are minimal. i personally prefer coax, just cause it has held up better for me in the past. the optical cables i've used were very fragile, and all were damaged easily & quickly...
  • Sean De Freitas
    Sean De Freitas Posts: 52
    edited April 2002
    I too was advised to go Co-ax, and searched for what was told was (supposedly) the best cable, by IXOS (a U.K. made lead).

It works extremely well, and I thought this was the 'bees knees', until I did an A-B comparison without any DSP settings (ie raw signal only) between the DVD player connected with the IXOS co-ax cable (ie full digital) and the same player connected via the 6 channel RCA outs, using standard RCA leads (ie analogue out setting). Frankly if there was a difference, it was subtle, not huge. Having paid over AUD$100 for the IXOS cable however, I would like to believe the difference WAS huge. Oh, well ..........

Regards,

Sean.