is this normal? (mmc6500 w/ 300.2)

Big10Fan
Big10Fan Posts: 63
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
on alpine 9831 with stock speakers loud would be at volume level 18 max before bad distortion, now that i installed the 300.2 and mmc6500s with all new speaker wire i go up to volume level 27 or so for same volume level. is it normal to have to turn the h/u volume up more for same levels? (btw its not distorting yet at 27 just the same sound level) its just sort of scary do i have something on the amp set wrong?

i have:

crossover on high pass
freq at about 70-80
pre-eq ON
input controls are set to high, and the gain dial minimum
Post edited by Big10Fan on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Actually that sounds like its set right.

You want your gain set so that you get no distortion at very high volumes.

Go here and follow these instructions for proper gain setting.

If you had your amp installed by a professional shop then dont worry about it. Like I said, that sounds about right.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Big10Fan
    Big10Fan Posts: 63
    edited July 2005
    nah i did the install with a friend, they sound really good, theres stuff i never heard in songs before, and also i dont have a sub yet. but I was just worried that turning the h/u up too much would send a bad signal to the amp. so the gain should be on total minimum? some people are telling me maybe set it 11 o' clock.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2005
    It should be set so that at 75% volume on the deck the amp is just about to clip.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2005
    The gain is meant to correct for lower HU output voltage. If you already have a 4V or higher output, the gain shouldn't have to be cranked very high. Without test equipment, you have to just play with it over time to get maximum volume without distortion.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by erobinson
    It should be set so that at 75% volume on the deck the amp is just about to clip.

NOOO! Thats not right at all. The amp should be nowhere near clipping at 75% volume.

As Josh said, the gain isnt a volume control. It merely matches the amps output with the head units output.

Use that link I put up. It was written by one of the regulars on here and its as simple and comprehensive as you can get. Follow those instructions and youll be set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D