Jeep Wrangler sound overhaul

Dark Horse
Dark Horse Posts: 11
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I get back to the States in 2.5 months for 4 days. During that time I'm planning on upgrading the entirely blown stock speakers (bought it used, also with blown shocks).

These are the components I am planning on using

1. Dash speakers - Polk Audio MMC5250 5-1/4" component speaker system
2. Soundbar speakers - Polk/MOMO MMC650 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers
3. Subwoofer (custom enclosure behind back seat - I'll make it myself) - Polk/MOMO MM2124 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
4. Amp for dash and soundbar speakers - Profile AP1040 4-channel car amplifier 80 watts RMS x 4
5. Amp for the subwoofer - Profile AP1000M Mono subwoofer amp 310 watts RMS x 1

I am buying the Polks because of the 3 year warranty and being rated for marine use - in reality, it will spend most of its time with the top down and they will get rained on. The Amps also have 3 year warranty's. The 4 channel amp will power the dash and speaker pod speakers. That amp will be custom mounted behind the glove box, which will be replaced with a Tuffy locking (glovebox will no longer be functional either). I'll build a subwoofer enclosure which will stretch across the entire back of the TJ at the same height, and the amp will be secured in this box - separated from the woofer enclosure. It will be torx or security bolted to the tub, and locktited. No amps will be exposed, all speakers will be covered with stock looking grilles. I had planned on the subwoofer enclosure to be downfiring - less chance for rain to cause problems and to make it invisible to theives.

I will use the stock head unit. To anyone looking in with the top down - the only thing they could see is a slightly raised box in the back, painted black to blend with the Line-X (hell, I may have it Line-X'd too, so unless they are really looking they won't find it.

Sound quality is important to me. After 12 years of playing concert euphonium, and ending up good enough to have played in a smaller symphony I have the ear. I have not, however, ever done a sound system in a vehicle, and would appreciate any input.

The links for the amps are:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Xji58SHKFxt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&id=essential_info&i=489AP1040
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mN1q5jXTLwh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&id=essential_info&i=489AP1000M

I don't like ear bleeding volume, and am pretty sure this setup has that capacity, but I won't crank it up that high. To cover the added max amperage draw I will install the high output high temp alternator that comes with the Premier Power welder.

I plan to use polyfill behind the dash speakers and in the sound pods. The tweeters will be mounted on the dash and attached to the PSC full rollcage.

A few final questions -
What material should I make the subwoofer enclosure out of - plywood, plexiglass, 1" thick hardened plate steel?
Is using polyfill in the plastic sound pod speakers good enough or do I need to build a custom wooden sound pod for the speakers. I don't want to think about building a plexiglass one for that.

I welcome any and all comments.

Thanks for your help
Post edited by Dark Horse on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    First off glad to hear youll be home soon. I thank you for your service!

Second, I understand keeping the stock head unit for security reasons, but ack! High level inputs tend to let in a lot of noise. You can pick up a quality head unit for about $150 these days with removable face and it would do wonders for your overall sound.

Second, I would say you dont need polyfill at all in the soundbars. Those speakers are meant to work in infinite baffle like what youd find in a door panel so adding polyfill wouldnt make a difference really unless the soundbar was airtight which I would guess its not.

As for enclosure materials, if its going to be in the weather much, I would say give fiberglassing a try. It would hold up to the elements better than MDF which falls apart if it gets wet.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    First off glad to hear youll be home soon. I thank you for your service!

Second, I understand keeping the stock head unit for security reasons, but ack! High level inputs tend to let in a lot of noise. You can pick up a quality head unit for about $150 these days with removable face and it would do wonders for your overall sound.

Second, I would say you dont need polyfill at all in the soundbars. Those speakers are meant to work in infinite baffle like what youd find in a door panel so adding polyfill wouldnt make a difference really unless the soundbar was airtight which I would guess its not.

As for enclosure materials, if its going to be in the weather much, I would say give fiberglassing a try. It would hold up to the elements better than MDF which falls apart if it gets wet.

Will the stock head unit make that much difference, even if the amp has line level inputs?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    some of the problem comes from the fact that stock headunits are inherently noisy - you just can't hear that through stock speakers, so it doesn't matter. run that dirty signal into an amp and through high-quality speakers, and you'll surely notice. the fact that the amp has high-level inputs actually helps somewhat, because you don't have to worry about the added step (and added cost) of an external converter.

i second everything else mac said, especially the part about fiberglass - MDF (the normal enclosure material) will balloon and then disintegrate when water touches it.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    I wonder what year the Wrangler is. For the newer headunits, Chrysler has commissioned Alpine, believe it or not, to make most of the audio gear. I know that the minivan's rear audio headunit is from Alpine, I have the box the remote comes in and it's from Alpine. That's not to say they would be of the same quality, though.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    I wonder what year the Wrangler is. For the newer headunits, Chrysler has commissioned Alpine, believe it or not, to make most of the audio gear. I know that the minivan's rear audio headunit is from Alpine, I have the box the remote comes in and it's from Alpine. That's not to say they would be of the same quality, though.

No kidding? Thats pretty damn cool!

Id assume its the same quality. I dont think Alpine would put its name on some crappy OEM POS.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    No kidding? Thats pretty damn cool!

Id assume its the same quality. I dont think Alpine would put its name on some crappy OEM POS.

They don't actually put their name on the units(faceplate, never looked at the chassis). The box the remote for the rear audio clearly says from Alpine electronics McAllen, TX. I'm assuming that is where one of their warehouses is.

I do know that the factory HUs aren't that bad anymore. Lots of cool features, 6-disc in unit changers, and such.
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    They don't actually put their name on the units(faceplate, never looked at the chassis). The box the remote for the rear audio clearly says from Alpine electronics McAllen, TX. I'm assuming that is where one of their warehouses is.

I do know that the factory HUs aren't that bad anymore. Lots of cool features, 6-disc in unit changers, and such.

I know in 2003 the 7 speaker factory sound system started. Do you know if Alpine was making the head units for the 2002, or where I can track that information down?
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Dark Horse
    I know in 2003 the 7 speaker factory sound system started. Do you know if Alpine was making the head units for the 2002, or where I can track that information down?

I'll check it out for you and get back ASAP.:)
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    I'll check it out for you and get back ASAP.:)

Thank you - I really appreciate it.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Thank you - I really appreciate it.

Got with the parts manager, and he did confirm that Chrysler is indeed in business with Alpine, again. The remote I was referring to was from a 2002 Minivan, so they have been back in business since at least 2002. I just can't confirm if all the radios are from Alpine or if some are still built in Huntsville, Al at the Chrysler Electronics plant. I don't know if this cleared anything up or just muddied up the water more.
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    Got with the parts manager, and he did confirm that Chrysler is indeed in business with Alpine, again. The remote I was referring to was from a 2002 Minivan, so they have been back in business since at least 2002. I just can't confirm if all the radios are from Alpine or if some are still built in Huntsville, Al at the Chrysler Electronics plant. I don't know if this cleared anything up or just muddied up the water more.

Do you have contact info for the parts manager so I can ask him from here?

thank you again - this info is really useful
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    just call the closest chrysler dealer, they'll help you out... ha! sorry, i'm in a bit of a tipsy mood, i don't actually have anything helpful to offer, i'll just crawl into a corner now...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    Good news - Alpine did make the stock head unit for 2002 TJ's.

As far as sound quality which sub would sound better - 10" or 12" in a custom enclosure behind the rear seat?
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Good news - Alpine did make the stock head unit for 2002 TJ's.

As far as sound quality which sub would sound better - 10" or 12" in a custom enclosure behind the rear seat?

Cool, I thought so, but wasn't for sure, and didn't want to mislead one of our finest youths.

For SQ I went with a 10" in a sealed enclosure. Historically, 10s have been more accurate.

Peace,

Noel
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    Cool, I thought so, but wasn't for sure, and didn't want to mislead one of our finest youths.

For SQ I went with a 10" in a sealed enclosure. Historically, 10s have been more accurate.

Peace,

Noel

Crutchfield shows great reviews on the Polk 2124 12" woofer, but no reviews on the 2104 - do any of you have the 2104 or have heard it in comparison to the 2124?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    Why don't you check out Polk's own website? 14 reviews on the site itselfs.

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/library/reviews/customers.php?id=341
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Dark Horse
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Why don't you check out Polk's own website? 14 reviews on the site itselfs.

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/library/reviews/customers.php?id=341

Thanks, my brain skipped a beat.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I have a MM2104 and absolutely love it. Id stack it up against any sub costing twice as much.

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    I still stand by the 10" in a sealed enclosure for SQ. If you want to advertise what you have in the back of your Jeep, then by all means get yourself a couple of 12s in a bandpass box.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I agree.

My little rule is if the sub is going to be in the cab with you like a SUV or hatchback then I perfer 10's. If its going to be in the trunk then 12's would be better.

This however is from a strict SQ perspective. If youre wanting SPL then 12's would be the way to go.