RE: **** Sealed Box

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Sup guys -
I'm trying to lose my addiction to this place but I have a quick question.

I am thinking about trying a sealed box for my ****. I like the ported but I find for alot of the music I'm listening to it's just not cutting it... my roll off is at 44hz and **** like Ben Harper just doesn't play like I want it to.

Anyways take care and have a safe sunday.

Love,
Adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Do it. Sealed boxes are usually more musical than a ported and have always been my favorite. Ive just never liked ported boxes much cause they sounded boomy to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    I think I may try... also I never realized how cheap RE8"s were... and I have the c500.1 and that would be money on 2 of them...

hmmm ponders have trunk space...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    go for it, it wont hurt to try
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    go for it, it wont hurt to try
    -Cody
    I'm really into 80's punk now and some reggae and some of it just doesn't hit..

I like the boomy stuff i'm not so much on the growly ****.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    you could also try a ported box with a low tune... you say it's at 44 Hz right now? try 25, much better...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    you could also try a ported box with a low tune... you say it's at 44 Hz right now? try 25, much better...
    no it's tuned at 32. creating a roll off around like 44hz?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    h'okay, i nearly had a heart attack...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    h'okay, i nearly had a heart attack...
    :D:D
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    whats wrong with 32Hz? i, personally, wouldnt go less than 28
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    nothing is wrong with it.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    indeed, i nearly had a heart attack at the thought of a daily driver with a 44 Hz tune... 32 is much much better

the 13 Hz tune you can get with the big SVS home subwoofers is even better... :D:D

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    I figured out what it is... my eq for my curve or whatever was set at 30 hz... so uhhh i bumped it up and lol... bang bang...

too bad 2 of my supercharger pulleys locked up and snapped my belt... therefore my car is not driveable..

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    hmm, that's not really a good thing... and keep in mind that i really have only a very small clue what i'm talking about when i say this, but if you can remove the turbine from the charger, mightn't the car be driveable until you can fix it? assuming you have 2 belts and the pulleys are still stuck...

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    hmm, that's not really a good thing... and keep in mind that i really have only a very small clue what i'm talking about when i say this, but if you can remove the turbine from the charger, mightn't the car be driveable until you can fix it? assuming you have 2 belts and the pulleys are still stuck...
    we towed it to my uncle's... he's a mechanic and will fix it in 30 minutes tonight.

it's not a rough fix.... and yes I could have pulled the belt out but it was all tangled in the serpentine belt. It would have been driveable but very very slow.... better safe than sorry.

should have her back tonight and sounding good tomorrow.... i'm glad alpine's I-Personalize saves all your settings online...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    yeah, that is a good idea... i hate getting the car back from the dealer only to discover that they've unplugged the battery, wiping my HU settings...

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    yeah, that is a good idea... i hate getting the car back from the dealer only to discover that they've unplugged the battery, wiping my HU settings...
    yea thats for sure.

i'm just glad i figured out this issue with the amp... because bob marley should bump.... and it wasn't.

new tensioners on the supercharger though? maybe I'll tell a difference... it wasn't running too good and my boost wasn't all that....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    hmm... a lot of that is controlled by the ECU (i know mine limits boost to about 6 psi in first and second gear, then lets it go in third and fourth)... you could put a stronger spring on your wastegate/bov, but stuff like this is pretty application-specific...

ensuring the charger is actually spooled by the engine is a good first step, though, yep :)

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    i'm sure it will help a bit i really don't care as long as it runs.
    cats.vans.bag...