96 landcruiser

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Trying to upgrade 96 landcruiser. would like to keep same head unit for originality. Polk says nothing fits. Unit has 6 1/2 in front doors, 3's in lower dash (90 degree and close to doors), 4's in rear doors, 3's in back headliner and factory 8" sub. All factory amped and I believe 2 ohm. Would like to start with front doors and sub. I believe 6 1/2 db component will go in door with tweeter in place of 3" in dash. (since dash speakers seem to just compete with doors) Also want to put momo 10" sub in place of original which in unboxed in back side panel. Anybody have opinion if this will work electronically or if it's a good idea? I believe rear sub has small amp to power it and two headliner speakers.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    I checked the Crutchfield fit guide and it too said nothing will fit your truck. Thats weird. I would take out one of the door speakers and verify it is a 6.5 with normal depth. If it is then Id get a set of DB6500's. They are excellent entry level speakers and Im pretty sure theyd fit with only minor mods.

You may want to mount the tweeter somewhere other than the dash tho as a tweet firing into a windshield isnt normally a good thing. Maybe in the sail panel or on the top of the door panel.

The sub may be a little tricky. I dont know how the stock amp is configured and the Momo sub will need a box but its not problem building a simple sealed box.

I have no experience with LC's so I cant really help you out much but I think it would be a good idea to cruise down to a local shop and talk to them. Theve likely done hundreds of installs on LC's in the last couple months and would know what will and wont fit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D