Need Adice! - Polk DX12 sub

carney115
carney115 Posts: 32
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey,

Whats goin on. I;m havin a problem with my car audio system. At medium volume levels the bass from my sub sounds great but when i crank up the volume it gets real sloppy and doesn't sound clean at all. I have a Kenwood KAC 7202 2 channel amp which puts out 460 watts bridged. I have one polk dx 12 inch sub in a sealed box. The sub can handle 400 watts max and is 4 ohms with a single voice coil. I have all this in a honda pilot SUV. I was thinking that maybe i need to upgrade my subwoofer. If thats the case could someone suggest a sub that would sound good with my amp. I really don't know too much about this stuff. Could this also be an amp tuning problem? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Post edited by carney115 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    It could be a couple of things.

-Most likely you could have the gain set too high. Normally you wont have it set any higher than the 12:00 position. Here is a link to a great gain setting walkthru. With your gains set too high your amp is clipping and sending out a distorted signal to your sub which it is dutifully reproducing as crappy sound.

-Your amp may be making more than its 460 watts which is already 60 more than this sub is able to handle.

-Your box may not be air tight.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • carney115
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out that site. If my box is not air tight what can i do to fix the problem?
    Kevin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    if you're thinking about replacing the sub, that depends on budget and the kind of music you listen to...

and if your box isn't airtight, the easiest way that i've found to fix it is to run a bead of liquid nails or similar around the inside of the box on the seams, then simply smooth it out with a finger... it looks like a professional caulk seal, and will make the seams completely airtight (of course, it requires a bit of contortion to get your hand under the front panel of the box, but it's well worth it). under the mounting ring of the sub, you can put 1/2 weather stripping (a foam strip with adhesive backing) and then screw the sub tightly down on top of that, and that'll keep air from escaping out around the sub.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • carney115
    edited July 2005
    what kind of sub do you suggest to runn with my Kenwood 7202 which puts out 460 rms? I mostly listen to rap and techno
    Kevin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    let's use the thread in the subwoofer forum, yah?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • carney115
    edited July 2005
    yea, posted it to both my mistake
    Kevin