Need Front Spkr Advice - Honda Accord EX

zimmerman63
zimmerman63 Posts: 2
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a new 2005 Honda. Just put a 2ch Alpine amp (50w RMS/ch) and Polk MMC690's in rear. Sounds great but would now like to upgrade the 5.25 in the doors. Would like to be able to still run them off the stock Head Unit for simplicity.

Does Polk make a good 5.25 that is efficient ???

What other options would you all recommend.

Thanks
Post edited by zimmerman63 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    the right answer depends upon your budget and if you're willing to do the work to get components in. here are two different polk component sets. here are the coaxials. what i'd do, if i were you, is run the fronts amped and the rears off the HU.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    the right answer depends upon your budget and if you're willing to do the work to get components in. here are two different polk component sets. here are the coaxials. what i'd do, if i were you, is run the fronts amped and the rears off the HU.

Most definitely +1. You don't want the rears to eff up the soundstage.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2005
    If you're not going to run the front speakers off an amp, don't worry with them. You won't get 'good' sound. You don't really need rear speakers, either, unless you're hauling passengers around. So it makes sense to run the rear speakers off the HU and amp the fronts.

If you're willing to do that, give us some budget limitations and what you're generally looking to achieve, and we can help you out.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Youre going about this all wrong brother. Amping the rears and running the fronts off head unit power? Thats gonna make things real ugly. Youll get good clean sound coming from the back and screechy distortion coming from the front.

Youve already invested in the rear speakers and the Momo 6x9's are the best out there so you might as well keep them. I dont know which Alpine you have, Im assuming its the V Power 2 channel, well this amp is 2 ohm stereo stable although it only puts out 70x2 and 35 to those 6x9's aint gonna be much.

The best way to do this would be to get some MMC5250 components for the front or coaxials if you dont want to mess with installing the tweeters and run them off the head unit FOR NOW!!! Then start saving up and get you a good 4 channel. You wouldnt have to spend much either. You could get something like this stout little Profile for $150 thatll make its rated 80x4 and that would run all 4 of your speakers about 1000 times better than your current set up. And I guarantee you that once you go this route you will not regret it!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Rocketman1988
    Rocketman1988 Posts: 1
    edited August 2005
    I just got done with a 1991 Accord EX. I didn't want to stay with the 5.25's in the doors. After removing the door panel and removing the stock 5.25 WITH its plastic enclosure, I found that a set of 6.5's would fit nicely. I went with the DB650's and am VERY happy with the result. Although they would have fit depth wise with about 3/32" clearance on the window, I added a 1/4" spacer for good measure. I'm using DB690's in the back. The whole setup sounds GREAT!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    sounds like you got off a helluva lot easier than i did with my g/fs civic...fuggin pos
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it