speakers

simba_1984
simba_1984 Posts: 10
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
In anybody's opinion, what are the best sounding speakers/subwoofers. Also same question for amps.

Thanks
Post edited by simba_1984 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    hmm... this is always fun... at the absolute top echelons of car audio, there's no clear-cut 'best'. it all depends on your personal tastes. macleod, for example, adores MB Quart's Q-series speakers, while exalted512 does not. same with subwoofers - i'm extremely partial to Eclipse Titaniums, whilst mac giggles like a little girl at the sight of a JL W7. amps, too, though there's far less difference amongst them. USAmps (cody's favorite), TruTechnology, McIntosh (my favorite), etc.

just as midline car audio (a la polk/momo) is different than budget car audio (a la audiobahn), the top-end stuff is a whole different world.

BUT, to give you a straight answer, my personal ideal would be a custom 3- or 4- way Focal K2Power set of fronts, dual 10" Eclipse Titaniums, all powered by TruTech or McIntosh amps. plus the un-amped HU (the term escapes me atm), the line drivers (maybe Zapco amps, they've got balanced inputs... hmm...), the dual 31-band eqs, etc., etc. total cost, after all is said and done, i could very very easily make that 20 grand.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    ive never heard rainbows totl components, but theyre in the range of 15k+

i have heard Focals new beriliyium(sp?) series and they are the best speakers ive ever heard. put for $800 for a pair of tweeters, and i believe that is at cost but i could be wrong...they better sound damn good.

while im extremely partial to usamps, they are not my favorite. my favorite is mcintosh, but usamps is a tad cheaper and i highly doubt i could hear the difference, even on my iridiums.

my favorite subs go to dls iridium sub actually as far as sound quality goes. i heard them a while back in a ported box and they had an audibly better sound than any sub ive ever heard before.
    but my brahmas will still get much louder:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    Older Polk Audio dB's from the mid to late 90's, not the new ones. Those speakers sound incredible for not only the price but for the fact that they are automotive speakers. They will rival alot of home systems that I have heard. They aren't made anymore so they can be hard to find but they are totally worth it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Speakers-
    MB Quart
    Polk Audio
    JL Audio
    Diamond Audio

Subs-
    JL Audio
    Polk Audio
    Orion

Amps-
    Xtant
    Alpine V12
    Polk Audio
    Crossfire
    MTX

Honorable mention:

Speakers-
    DLS, Focal, a/d/s, Alpine Type X,

Subs-
    Crossfire, Kicker, Diamond Audio, MTX

Amps-
    Tru Tech, Orion, PPI, JL Audio, Arc Audio
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    What happened to Soundstream? When I was into the scene, about 12 years ago, they were pretty well received.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • simba_1984
    simba_1984 Posts: 10
    edited July 2005
    Thanks everyone! I wanted to know what everybody else thought.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    What happened to Soundstream? When I was into the scene, about 12 years ago, they were pretty well received.
    they arent what they used to be
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13

They still make very good equipment but like a lot of companies they were bought out by somebody (cant remember who) and their quality isnt quite the same as it was 15 years ago.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    They still make very good equipment but like a lot of companies they were bought out by somebody (cant remember who) and their quality isnt quite the same as it was 15 years ago.

A buddy of mine had two 12" SS pro subs driven by PPI pro amps and they were the best sounding subs I had ever heard at that time.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    As far as I know, Soundstream is still Soundstream and they are making so incredible gear again. Go to onlinecarstereo.com and check out the Van Gogh series. It's already discontinued but the replacenment stuff has some nice specs. amulford has Van Gogh series amps in his truck and they sounded excellent and were quite stout! Also, the Human Reighn series ranks up there with your "high end" brands like TruTech, McIntosh and so on. They had QC issues in the recent past just like alot of teh other 90's power houses in car audio. It probably came from having to adjust from boutique level production to mass market production. Took a bit to get the concept down. Overall though, I have seen several new Soundstream products and I am impressed with what I am seeing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • screxer
    screxer Posts: 29
    edited July 2005
    My personal favorites:

Focal (any of their line...mind blowing clarity)
    JL Audio subs (again any of them....good clean bass)
    Pioneer's Premier 12" shallow depth sub (it's the only sub I've heard that matches the quality of JL, but in a very shallow speaker)
    Haman/Kardon AVR635
    Polk Audio Monitor 70x2
    Polk Audio RTi38x2
    Polk Audio RTi28x2
    Polk Audio CSi30
    Velodyne DPS-10
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Older Polk Audio dB's from the mid to late 90's, not the new ones. Those speakers sound incredible for not only the price but for the fact that they are automotive speakers. They will rival alot of home systems that I have heard. They aren't made anymore so they can be hard to find but they are totally worth it.

I really like my old DB3065's :D .
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin