jeep wrangler sub

mcjalyn
mcjalyn Posts: 5
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got a 2005 jeep wrangler and I want to replace the sub in the center console, does anyone know what size will fit in there withoout having to cut anything? I tried an 8" kicker comp but it was too deep.....
Post edited by mcjalyn on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2005
    Oh wow, you mean the new Wranglers have a sub built into the center console? That's a pretty cool idea. I really can't help you, but it'll be interesting to find out more about this.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • mcjalyn
    edited July 2005
    Yeah... it comes with a 7 speaker system now...4 in the dash, 2 in the roll bar and a sub in the center console (pre-amped). It doesn't sound horrible but I had 2 12" mtx's in my car i traded in so i'm used to the bass.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    you need to find out how many ohms the amp is running the sub at. put a 4 ohm sub on an 8 ohm amp and watch the magical spl smoke come out
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    It has an 8" powered sub with 50 watts going to it. I would look at replacing the whole thing. Jeep has had this system for about 5 model years now. Your right that it doesn't sound horrible, but it does leave alot to be desired. A major improvement over the 4 speaker set-up, but with the Wrangler's terrible acoustical traits, it's really going to be hard to make anything short of a complete system redo, sound great. But you can make it sound acceptable.
    If you don't need the miniscule trunk area for storage, I would pit a small sealed box with a 10" or 12" woofer and about 150 watts back there and slightly upgrade the dash speakers. I don't know if I answered your question or not, but at least the info is pertinent to the Jeep. Good luck.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    Is it 8 inches? The sub in my friend's 2000 Jeep was a 7 inch sub.

It's got a goofy setup and with only 50 watts of power that is not nearly enough juice to push any after market sub well at all. Even the 6 inch jobbies from RF and Kicker need at least 75-100 watts.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Is it 8 inches? The sub in my friend's 2000 Jeep was a 7 inch sub.

It's got a goofy setup and with only 50 watts of power that is not nearly enough juice to push any after market sub well at all. Even the 6 inch jobbies from RF and Kicker need at least 75-100 watts.

I pretty sure they list it as an 8", but who knows where they're measuring from???? As far as the amp goes, that's why I suggested replacing the whole rig.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    His 04 Jeep didn't have the premium system and we did the whole shebang. Kenwood headunit, eXcelon unit too. One rung below the 9XX series. Got his Streetwires ZN2.0 IC's and twisted speaker wires. Ran MMC 5.25 inc Coaxs in the overhead speaker pods and the 4x6 MMC plates up front. Got a couple of sub boxes from Quadratec and modified them to work right. He pulled teh rear seat, got 2 inch pipe and drilled holes and mounted seats with the pipe as spacers to pick the rear seat up. Shove a Hifonics Zeus ZX4400 and a Hifonics Nemesis NX750D under the rear seat and dual 8 inch MMC DVC's in teh boxes. He wants to get a stereo amp and run a set of 6.5 inch components in the rear too but doesn't have the cash until he gets out of classes this semester.

That stereo is running about 1200 watts and it sounds 10 times better than the premium setup and cost him 800 less. The other cool thing is that even with the top down, he can still hear the bass and with the rear sub boxes being made the way they are, he lost maybe 30-40% of his total floor space behind the seat and can still use the area for carrying his school books or a gym bag. It turned out nice. I threw pictures up here somewhere, I gotta find them again though.

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    His 04 Jeep didn't have the premium system and we did the whole shebang. Kenwood headunit, eXcelon unit too. One rung below the 9XX series. Got his Streetwires ZN2.0 IC's and twisted speaker wires. Ran MMC 5.25 inc Coaxs in the overhead speaker pods and the 4x6 MMC plates up front. Got a couple of sub boxes from Quadratec and modified them to work right. He pulled teh rear seat, got 2 inch pipe and drilled holes and mounted seats with the pipe as spacers to pick the rear seat up. Shove a Hifonics Zeus ZX4400 and a Hifonics Nemesis NX750D under the rear seat and dual 8 inch MMC DVC's in teh boxes. He wants to get a stereo amp and run a set of 6.5 inch components in the rear too but doesn't have the cash until he gets out of classes this semester.

That stereo is running about 1200 watts and it sounds 10 times better than the premium setup and cost him 800 less. The other cool thing is that even with the top down, he can still hear the bass and with the rear sub boxes being made the way they are, he lost maybe 30-40% of his total floor space behind the seat and can still use the area for carrying his school books or a gym bag. It turned out nice. I threw pictures up here somewhere, I gotta find them again though.

It is cheaper to DIY, than to buy the factory upgrade, but not everyone is up to doing it or getting it done. Plus it's a Wrangler, and they're not the most secure vehicles even with a hard top.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    They are going to have to destroy his Jeep to get the stuff out. No way they can do a smash and grab. Nothing would come out without the proper tools. They'd be there way too long and someone would notice. I don't like my stuff getting ripped off. I know I can't prevent it but I can do alot to deter it. Stealth installs, secured equipment and no bling work pretty well. My Kenwood MASK unit in my truck looks like a radio delete panel and the only speakers one can see is the tweeters surface mounted to the doors. They are flat black with no markings. The interior is black and gray and all the components match. The same pretty much goes for his Jeep. Nothing stands out. Don't attract attention and would-be theives wouldn't give it a second look.

• mcjalyn
    edited July 2005
    That's weird, so it's 7"? How in the world would I replace that one? (I'm new at the whole car audio thing, sorry) I really want to put my 10" in the back but Jeep's aren't that big so I don't want to take up too much space....Looks like I might have to though :(
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    A 10 inch sub in a small sealed enclosure like the MMC2104 uses will fit easily behind the rear seat in the Jeep and leave at least 60% of your space back there.

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    just for my reference, cause jeeps seem to be a common question around here, but are there any good places to glass a sub into a jeep?

and to throw an idea out there, you may consider one of the 6" subs that're floating around out there, as mentioned...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Not really. Maybe if you felt like rebuilding teh center console.