Grado!!!

Options
sucks2beme
sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
edited July 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
A local stereo shop posted a set of Grado sr125 headphones for sale with new foam earpieces. They were a trade in at a good price. I took in my Sennheiser hd590's to compare head to head against the Grados. They have a very nice headset area with a full line of Grados and Stax, along with some nice headset amps and a good source cd player. The sr125 is hardly the top of the line. I compared the 125's, 325's and my Senn's. The Grados won hands down. The sound was very detailed and clear. The Senns only were better in comfort, and of course didn't have the problem of the earpieces spinning around. I am now the proud owner of a pair of sr125s. Why don't more places cater to serious headphone listening?
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by sucks2beme on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2005
    Options
    What amp was driving them?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I've owned a few Grado(60/80/325i) and multiple Sennheiser(590/580/555/465/120/65/RS65) and they are totally different, no doubt. The Sennheiser have always been my favorite due to being laid back and for the most part, comfortable. I mean laid back, as in more "tube" like. That's what I'm more comfortable with in a headphone. I don't need intense, or sharp when I'm chillin' with headphones.

The Grado is more articulate and crisp, but they're simply uncomfortable on my ears physically....very uncomfortable....every single one of them. You either like Grado, or you don't, and I'm sure that it goes both ways. I cannot justify the comfort for the resolution, and it's small enough for me to not really care.

www.headphone.com

CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Shizelbs
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I gotta agree. Senns and Grados are two totally different beasts. For comfort, which can be a big deal, nothing can touch Senns in my experience.

I have listened to the SR80s, I believe, and liked them. I own the Senn 590s, by comparison. My next pair of cans will either be Senn 650s or Beyerdynamic 880s.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I would also like to try a pair of the Beyerdynamics. First one there eats a slug.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I own the Sennheiser HD650 and it is powered with my upcoming Headamp Gilmore GS1 and Singlepower PPX SLAM tube amp... the Grados are not for me as I like a balanced sound.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I've always been amazed at how dynamic Grados are. And as said before... a COMPLETELY different experience from Senns. Not overall better or worse, just different.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • sucks2beme
    edited July 2005
    Options
    They ,of course, were using a Grado RA1 headphone amp. So far, I've got a pair of AKGk240's(my son loves them), the Sennheiser hd590, and now the Grado sr125. For now, I'll just got back and forth between them. The Grados are very different. I may change my opinion over time, but for right now I like the Grado sound.
    There is a cable upgrade available for the hd590 that's supposed to improve the sound greatly. The stock cord is complete crap. I've got the plans for a hybrid tube headphone amp that looks like
    it would be a good project. Playing with different hardware combos is what I really enjoy. I am always looking for a cheap way to try a different sound. This pair of cans was cheap enough
    ($90) to make it worthwhile. I should be able to get that back out of them at any time. I just need to "let go" of all the other stuff that I have stashed that seems to be too good to get rid of.
    Yes, good sound is an addiction!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    edited July 2005
    Options
    After listening back and forth between the Senn 590's and the
    Grado's, I am left still with some doubts on which sound I like better. Has anyone here tried any of the custom Senn aftermarket cables? Looking at the wimpy Senn cable leaves me wondering if that is holding them back from their full potential.
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by sucks2beme
    After listening back and forth between the Senn 590's and the
    Grado's, I am left still with some doubts on which sound I like better. Has anyone here tried any of the custom Senn aftermarket cables? Looking at the wimpy Senn cable leaves me wondering if that is holding them back from their full potential.
    I have used MANY Senn cables. I own or have owned the:
    Zu Mobius
    Stefan Equinox (sold)
    Cardas
    Clou Red
    Headphile blacksilver
    Stock cable

I own the HD650, HD6500, and HD580 plus many other non-Sennheiser headphones. Right now my electronics are a Meridian G08 and a Headroom Max. The cables make the least difference in the audio chain. All of the cables above have a *slightly* different flavor, but I wouldn't consider one superior over the others on overall technical merit. IMO the stock cable isn't bad at all. Hell, I've been using the stock cables for the last 3 months dues to ergonomics issues (all of the replacement cables are a pain in one way or another) and I haven't felt like I've been missing details during this time. That money's better spent upgrading the headphone, IMO.

FWIW I prefer Senns over grados (unless it's a Joe Grado hp1000) and high-end Audio Technicas over the Senns :p
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • Shizelbs
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I got a chance to listen to the top of the line Audio Technica and it was pretty damn sweet. Super laid back, but it had great detail even with low low bass.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I still like my Koss Pro 4/AA Studios. They are big and heavy, but they have the fullest sound I've ever heard in a headset, plus you don't hear anything but the music since they are very isolated. It's like strapping on a pair of nice sounding bookshelf monitors. I will have to say, though, that I've never really had much time with the headsets that cost above $300-400 range. Mine were about $200 list and I picked them up on clearance for $99. IMO, a steal. I would like to try out some of the high-end sets at some point. I don't know if they'll sound any better, but I'm sure they'll be more ergonomic,

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/04MuseumMF

Click on museum and then the 70s they're the first ones. I picked mine up new in 1998.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"