The Official Final Fantasy Xi Thread

Options
swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited July 2005 in Video Games
SO who here plays this MMORPG.

most likely no-one... you all seem like the world of warcraft type...

-adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I heard nothing but bad reviews on this one. Would you disagree?

Frankly, none of the screenshots do much for me. There was little effective marketing for it either. Maybe they were relying too much on the franchise name of FF to push units.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2005
    Options
    World of Warcraft killed all the other MMORPGs.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2005
    Options
    FF is ok... i like RPG the best. whenever i get the chance to play.

although the one i'm really waiting for isn't out yet.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS for gamecube. should be out this fall or holiday season. Can't get here fast enough for me. :D

I know it's old skool, but it's what i like. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The problem of a FF MMORPG is the open-endedness of it all. The linear stories of the FF series is what has made the game great. I can't see the same level of storytelling being retained in this format.
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Options
    FF is ALOT more to take in and learn than world of warcraft... the game has been out twice as long if not 3 times and people are still finding new stuff....

it requires lots more patience and playing time than WOW. But patience and playing time seems to be where todays' gamers really lack.

You can't jet through experience points and obtain the max level fast at all unlike world of warcraft... basically they are 2 completely different games as you are almost always relying on another people.

One thing about Blizzard though is they putforth an easy to learn environment that really accomodates lifestyles. Final Fantasy pretty much runs your life once you sit down to play because it takes so long...

I played for 1 month a year ago and quit shortly after.... I gave it another try and absolutely love it... My best friend has over 80 days playing time logged and he is no where close to being done... the possibilities and discoveries to be made are almost endless.

you really have to see it first hand and understand what is going on to fully appreciate it I think...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Shizelbs actually made a great point. The games are NEVER going to be 'done' until the programmers stop adding new content. All the MMORPGs that I've played release new stuff. In fact WoW just released Black Wing Layer and a couple other high end instances. Molten Core used to be the standard and that has now changed. Stuff like that will keep happening.

The FF MMORPG (Which I own ;) ) isn't really any different in the nature of the game than any other MMORPG. It's the same thing as Everquest, WoW, etc. Yes, different story, but Everquest had a different story than WoW and it effectively killed Everquest and set the new benchmark. It's done the same for the FF MMORPG game, which I played for a year and a half on and off.

WoW has a different dynamic and most people seem to love it. The number of people who now play this obviously show this to be true. It's been out for quite a while now and I certainly don't plan on quitting anytime soon.

Something will come along and kill WoW eventually, and maybe it will even be FF, but they had dismal numbers compared to what they were expecting. Hardcore FF fans such as myself were a little disappointed with the game, but I still stuck with it for a long time.

I just don't see the point in knocking WoW because I don't find many of your statements to be true, but a lot of it may be a matter of opinion. It's just not true to say that there is more to learn in FF and that it takes no patience or time to play WoW.

And in WoW all I do now is rely on other people at this point. Unless you personally have a level 60 Char. in WoW I don't know how you would be able to relate. In order for me to be greatly challenged at this point it requires me to work with other members of my guild in a high end instance.

This isn't as true in PvP, but if you want to get any good gear you better have a 40 Man Raid group.
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Options
    that's why my friend can play wow for less than 10 days and have a level 60+ character?

I'm not knocking anything... blizzard is very different... all the game they make don't require a ton of time invested to obtain a goal if you milk the system. In FF if you don't have 5-6 people in a party your not going to get anything done level wise. There's some instances where you need an alliance to fully carry-out a mission.

and I've never seen anything like the PvP in WoW... until they released the other version with capture the flag and stuff it just dawned on me as the same thing I did in diablo2.... kill.... die... get body.... naked kill.... over and over again. atleast blizzard implemented something with a purpose to the pvp system.

I gaurantee that you could max out 2 characters in WoW before someone even reached level 30 in FF... they are 2 completely different games as you said. I've only played 2 final fantasy games before this and I absolutely love it... sure I love the old fashioned RPG... but you just cannot expect that from an MMORPG.

WoW is just as addicting though.... seems like my friends are always on there.... one thing I find if they can't get something done there is always something else to do... however in FF you are kind of stuck alot of times which results in the long delays and such.
    cats.vans.bag...