another set of mmc6500?

jroberts_101
jroberts_101 Posts: 106
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
alright maybe the regulars remember me from a little while back... i have mmc6500 in the front, powered by a 300.2.
I also have 2 mm2124 subs powered by a 500.1. these were all from your recommendations! thanks again haha

Alright so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a matching set of mmc6500 for the rear, powered by another 300.2? I am running stock **** speakers off the head unit back there, but i have heard no complaints from anyone so far...

I want a complete system and want to have the rear passengers hearing what i am hearing with the clarity of it and everything, and im thinking if i set the gain down a little less on the rears, it will give me a lot louder sound, etc etc. I would get the tweeters custom mounted into the door panels too, which would look awesome.

I know you guys told me about the sound staging and I respect that but was just wondering if this would be a good thing to do.

Thanks for your opinions and ideas!

John
Polk Momo MMC6500
Polk Momo C300.2
Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
Polk Momo C500.1
Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
Post edited by jroberts_101 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    if you feel that the rear passengers deserve the same sound as you have, then rear speakers are certainly the way to go, and there's no better way to do it than to match what you have up front.

your idea of keeping the volume of the rears lower is a good one for two reasons - one) because they'll interfere with the fronts less, keeping a majority of your detail, and two) because your rear passengers are likely much closer to the speakers, and therefore they don't need as much power.

i can't say for sure that you'll get a 'lot' more volume, but you should get a theoretical +3dB (fairly significant, when you consider that most equalisers can deal in 1/2 dB increments, and those are audible) if you run both at full volume. if you run the backs at half volume (a pretty reasonable assumption), you should get 1.5dB, which isn't a ton, but should still be noticeable.

i think that in your situation, since rear-seat quality is important, rear speakers are the way to go, and the only way to do it properly is to amp a good set.

the only problem i can forsee is imaging... your rear passengers are likely going to be right up against a speaker area, so tweeter placement and aiming will be quite important to the sq of the rear seats... take your time on this, it'll be worth it
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • jroberts_101
    edited July 2005
    sweet thanks for the info, let's see... i got a toyota matrix... and the rear speakers are down about halfway a little under the seats on the door, but the tweeters would have to be on the area where you set your arm when u got the window down or wateva. so the tweeter placement is the only thing in question.
    heres a pic that kinda shows the rear door: should the tweeters go past the door handle closer to the driver seat and be aimed back at the seat? or back a little closer on the other side of the handle? thanks
    Jackelyn_Matos3.jpg
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    given the constraint that the tweeters must be mounted on the top edge, i'd say to place them as far away from the rear seat as possible. this would require careful aiming, however. you want to aim them across the car so both rear seat passengers hear stereo, but you don't want to aim them so far across that the rear tweeters fire into the driver's left ear (or the front passenger's right ear, for that matter).

if you can't angle them appropriately when they're that far forward, you can scootch them back a bit. this will allow you to aim them across the car more, but will make the treble more pronounced for the rear passengers, because the tweeters will be closer to them.

all in all, what i would do is get three patient friends, have everyone sit in a seat, and make 2 friends in the back position the tweeters in a bunch of places and especially angles (they have to be patient cause the tweeters have to be placed identically or it'll throw the whole thing off). you have 4 people in the car so the rear passengers can tell you when it sounds good and the front passenger and driver (you) can tell when the front still sounds good, too.

patience and lots of time is the key. also note that you'll need to do the install in 2 steps this way - amp and mids, plus wire up the tweets, then once you have a position and angle, the mounting of the tweets. props go to polk for the angle mounting cup - this'll make it easier to fine-tune the angles.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Neo's got ya pretty much covered and there isnt much left to add.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with rear speakers. If you want em, go for it and a MMC6500/300.2 combo is about as good as it gets!

Ive found in my truck that the best SQ and imaging came from aiming the tweets at the opposing head rest. This may not be the same for your car but its a place to start.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jroberts_101
    edited July 2005
    alright i gotcha, thanks guys. its good to hear the experts tellin me it will be a good idea to get rear speakers. i have a friend who is real good at speaker **** too, and he blew me off saying it will sound like **** but if i wanna waste my money then i can! i was like sheesh wats the problem?
    i guess its just he thinks the staging and sound will sound pretty bad...hopefully u guys can clarify again. thx
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • jroberts_101
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    given the constraint that the tweeters must be mounted on the top edge, i'd say to place them as far away from the rear seat as possible..
    i should tell u- that pic isnt my car, and he put that vinyl **** there i guess for show, so for me its just the same plastic piece that is above it, so i could have it in the middle, pretty much wherever on that panel... thanks
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • jroberts_101
    edited July 2005
    522631_168.jpg

522631_167.jpg

alright found pics of what im talkin about, but the mmc6500's tweeters rotate as neomagus said, so i can angle them how i want!
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    yep, that should be about perfect right there

• jroberts_101
    edited July 2005
    awesome. might do this!! yay
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP