xbox in hd?

tecmo04
tecmo04 Posts: 421
edited August 2005 in Video Games
does anyone know of games that come in 1080i? im getting a lcd hdtv on tuesday and all the games i own are 480.
Post edited by tecmo04 on

Comments

• Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited July 2005
    No responses to this?

I'm always checking, but I never see much in HD. I have one game (it's a silly roll the marble through a maze game) that says it's HD (and I only bought it because it said 1080i on it). But I really don't see all that much of a difference. It's nice picture, but it's not like the difference between regular cable and HD cable. The problem is the amount of space they need for HD. The Terminator 3 games says HDTV on it, but it doesn't look all that fantastic. When I was looking, there were a couple of sports game that said HD, but I'm not crazy about those, so I passed them up.

In general, I find most of the games look pretty much the same. Halo II looks better than most, but I have yet to find one that doesn't look good. Go with the fun over the picture format. I've been playing Need for Speed Underground 2 and I can't seem to stop (I even play for 20 mins before I go to work).

If you do find something that outstanding, please let me know.

Also, make sure you set the video on the xbox to allow all 3 video types (480, 720 & 1080).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • SniperREX
    SniperREX Posts: 930
    edited July 2005
    You can find all the answers here :) .

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/index.htm

TVs: Samsung S95B 65" QD-OLED (den) and LG C2 42" OLED (office)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H (den) and Denon AVR-X2300W (den)
    SACD and DVD-A player: Oppo BDP-83
    Mains: Polk RTi8 (den) and Dali Ikon 8 (office)
    Center: Polk CSi5 (den) and Polk CSi3 (office)
    Surrounds: Polk FXi5 (den) and Velodyne surrounds (office)
    Sub: SVS PB-2000 (den) and PCi 16-46 (office)
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    a) you're sure you have the component attachment for the xbox?
    b) it's really really really hard to render HD graphics in realtime - xbox's graphics engine is powerful, but HD is just nuts... consider that it takes about 18 hours to download 1 hour of HD on a T1 line, and you get an idea of the amount of data we're talking about here
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • tecmo04
    edited July 2005
    to be honest i know nothing about the data/download time.

just curious if there was any better picture quality (not that the games dont look fantastic on 480...)

p.s. xbox is way better then ps2
  • Pablo
    edited July 2005
    I have all 3 (xbox, gamecube & ps2) and the xbox seems to have the best graphics (and some of the best games). The only thing I don't like is the load speed. The gamecube is much faster loading. Once a game loads, it hardly ever comes up with the "loading...." in between scenes.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited July 2005
    Gamecube dosnt really have any balls on the wall games either as far as graphics.

You also have to remember that they use a mini DVD, it dosnt store near the amount the XBox or PS2 games - thus smaller games...

You also have to consider the fact that the Gamecube is a fast machine, much faster than the PS2 will ever be.

I want to see PS2 and Gamecube run Halo 2... :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tecmo04
    edited August 2005
    i just got a great idea, combine halo and mario. we can call it haloario. lol
    in co-op u know he get luigi. the villians can be waluigi and wario!
  • Pablo
    edited August 2005
    I origianally got the Gamecube for the family. I loved the mario games (mario 64 made me run out and get the nintendo 64 when it first came out). The new mario games aren't the same though.

When I finially need some good shot em' up games, I got the xbox (just for me). And I do love it.

(and try metroid prime if you want a little competion to hallo. hallo may be a little better, but it's a tough call).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited August 2005
    Everyone that is complaining about not getting anything special graphics wise form there game console is absolutley correct. Expecting to get great graphics from those small little boxes running outdated graphics engines is simply out of there minds. A computer is the only way to go to play games with the best graphics.

All that a console is, is a striped down computer and nothing more. Just as an example an x-box is running a p3 600mhz processor with 256mb system meory. The video card is an nvidia 5550 with 64mb of memory. Now compare those specs to any halfway decent computer. They are complete crap. Now granted a console can get away with a little less power becasue it does not have a bloated os to run in the background, but if you into computers at all you know exactly how to configure all of your hardware software so that does not matter.

Another big disadvantge that consoles have is the resolution (wich was what this threads original topic was) 99% of all games are running at edtv resolutions with a max of 480 lines, and about 70% of those games are running interlaced. You compare that to any computer game and right from the get go with any halfway decent setup you will be running your games at 1280x1024 progressive scan. And that is just the begining, i run all of my games at 1600x1200 progessive scan beleive me resolution makes all the difference in the world. And on older games i will run them even higher resolutions than that.

Sid, i saw from your post that it looks like you are a big halo 2 person. Well maybe you can answer me this. From what i can tell comparing halo1 to halo 2 on the xbox there are no graphical increases from the two. Am i right in saying that. I much prefer halo 1 on computer than halo 2 on the xbox just becasue of the graphics. The original halo looks ten times better that halo 2 does on the xbox
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited August 2005
    Pablo wrote:
    I origianally got the Gamecube for the family. I loved the mario games (mario 64 made me run out and get the nintendo 64 when it first came out). The new mario games aren't the same though.

When I finially need some good shot em' up games, I got the xbox (just for me). And I do love it.

(and try metroid prime if you want a little competion to hallo. hallo may be a little better, but it's a tough call).

You should check out the resident evil remake on the game cube. That is a really good mature game for the gamecube. Resident evil 0 for the cube is ok but the remake of the origianl is just straight awseome. Had me jumping out of my seat a couple times.