We Were Soldiers/Ice Age

Dave1210
Dave1210 Posts: 3
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
I saw We Were Soldiers yesterday. For those of you who enjoy military flicks, this one is a don't miss. I've seen quite a few of the Vietnam movies (Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, etc.) and this movie is better than all of them in regard to accuracy. It's also as well made and presented as all of them except for Apocalypse Now. The movie is very graphic and very fast paced after the combat scenes begin. I plan on snatching up the DVD as soon as it comes out. I also read the book We Were Soldiers Once....and Young. The movie takes it's artistic liberties but follows the book well. And for women with a strong stomach you also get to see mel Gibson in a tight tank top....LOL. Excellent movie and sure to garner Gibson a best actor nomination for the Oscars next year. See it....I'd give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

For those of you who enjoy more light-hearted fare, I took my daughter to see Ice Age today. It's well made and funny as hell. I had a real good laugh. Grab a kid or two to mask your juvenile intentions and go see it. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
Post edited by Dave1210 on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Welcome to the forum, Dave! Thanks for the movie reviews!

Aaron
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited March 2002
    Dave,

I agree that We Were Soldiers is a very realistic movie.

The only thing missing is the sense of heat and the distinctive sounds of the AK47.

The daytime temperature was 100+ degrees and many of the 7th Cav troopers were fighting without shirts and a few were in underwear.

Of course this movie is the story of Lt Gen Hal Moore and does not attempt to tell the full story of the Ia Drang Valley campaign including the massive loses of life by the 2/7 Cav at LZ Albany the day after Moore departed LZ X-Ray. The movie only slightly touches on the political fallout of the battle.

If you still have the book look at the cover picture of Lt Rick Rescorla and then read this story of an Ia Drang Valley hero and more recently the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center towers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A56956-2001Oct26
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • Devildog
    Devildog Posts: 68
    edited April 2002
    Cliff,
    Just curious, does your name imply you were with VMFA-531? (I was with the Gray Ghosts in '69 when they were based in El Toro. If so, Semper Fi, Rick
    The Revolution will not be televised.
  • TheGrayGhost
    edited April 2002
    Devildog,

No it does not. I was with the 1st Air Cav and like “Snake” was the call sign of Major Bruce Crandell in the movie; Gray Ghost was mine in reference to my southern origin.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • Devildog
    Devildog Posts: 68
    edited April 2002
    Craig, Thanks for the reply. We were with 1st Air Cav in Chu Lai, '67-'68. They were on the other side of the base with Americal. I just remember they had Huey Cobras when all we had were UH-1E slicks. Remember how cheap we used to be able to get this type of equipment through the PX? Guess those days are long gone.
    The Revolution will not be televised.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2002
    my folks saw this movie a few weeks ago. my dad said it was a good movie but it wasn't very realistic, as he fought at that battle (huey pilot in the army). i'd still like to check it out though.

-josh
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • TheGrayGhost
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by wodom1
    my folks saw this movie a few weeks ago. my dad said it was a good movie but it wasn't very realistic, as he fought at that battle (huey pilot in the army). i'd still like to check it out though.

-josh

Josh,

What unit was your dad with at that time?
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • wodom1
    edited April 2002
    170th Assault Helicopter Co. "Bikini's" i believe.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • TheGrayGhost
    edited April 2002
    Yep, with the 52nd CAB, “Flying Dragons” out of Camp Holloway, Pleiku, RVN

During the fall of 65 we “camped” outside the fence at Camp Holloway.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • wodom1
    edited April 2002
    I asked my Dad tonight, and he said he wasn't at that actual battle, but that he was in a lot of really ferocious battles that took place in that valley. he said the inaccuracies were in the things the helicopters were doing, but that the ground fighting scenes were pretty realistic.

-Josh

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • TheGrayGhost
    edited April 2002
    Josh,

I agree with your dad. It looked like the pilots were being very safe around the film crew or they didn’t know the flight maneuvers used for an air assault. On the other hand the helicopters were secondary to the primary story.
    Best Regards, Cliff