Replace front spkrs?

DaveSal
DaveSal Posts: 15
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've got a pair of MB Quart PSC 216's (6 1/2" separates) in my front doors & just can't get 'em to sound good. Technically, I'm underpowering them -- got a 45w x 2 RMS MTX Thunder 282 amp, but MB Quart recommends at least 60w & says 80w is optimal. Just not sure I want to invest in that kind of power, as I'm not convinced that it will make that much of a difference in sound.

Anyway, I was thinking about ditching the Quarts and getting a pair of 6 1/2" MOMO separates instead. Would keep existing amp. Any opinions?
Pioneer 880PRS
Polk C300.2
MB Quart PCE 216
Alpine MRP 350
Polk GNX 104
Post edited by DaveSal on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    More power is almost always a good thing. It allows your speakers to work the way they were designed. It also will play subtle parts of the music that you werent really hearing before. And itll put more detail in your music. Dont necessarily associate more power with simply being louder.

Even with the Polks you wont be getting their full potential without a stouter amp.

MB Quart speakers love power, especially those Premiums. Id actually sugges getting something in the 100+ range. That would go for the Polk's as well.

The Polks do sound different than the Quarts tho. The Quarts are a little more natural with a little better midbass where the Polks sound a little more open with unreal detail.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D