Lets talk about relays

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yea so I'm going to try this to stop my turn off thump (since it's the type where my sub is moving (can't risk ripping the leads)

It should work... I believe I understand everything but where to fuse the 30 and what to connect it to. Also If I'm doing 2 amps do I just run 2 leads off the 87?

vr3x you suggest i won't rip the leads since it's most likely not reaching full excursion... but I can't risk it.

relay16a.gif
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    the fuse for the 30 can be put pretty much wherever. you'll be drawing small currents, so you can tap into any old 12V line you can find. the elegant way to do it (well, what i think would be elegant) is to hook the fuse into an unused port in your fuse box, so it's all integrated and pretty and stuff. conveniently, 12V lines go into the fuse box all the time, so you can find one and T off of it. and yeah, you can run both amps off the same outlet.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    for the 12v+ Antenna Do I clip this then and connect it? wouldn't that create a problem somewhere? or no since I have the the 30 connected to 12v?

never did this before and I know I'm capable just need a good understanding.

thanks again

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    huh? oh... well, you could run the REM wire from the HU into the relay, then the antenna and amp off the 87...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    huh? oh... well, you could run the REM wire from the HU into the relay, then the antenna and amp off the 87...
    so I take it I don't cut the antenna... I just splice into it and connect the 87?

also someone suggested I don't use the 12v constant behind the radio because engine noise. i know there is one in the steering column but I don't want to do that. any other suggestions?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    12V lines are literally all over the car... try the fuse box, that way you can mount your fuse there, and have a great choice of 12V lines to tap in to

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    buddies who worked at cc with me are going to help. 2 of the better installers in this area. if I can see how it's done first then I'll completely understand.

thanks for all your help!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2005
    How's that supposed to stop your turn- off pop?
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Thom
    How's that supposed to stop your turn- off pop?
    I really have no clue. But numerous people have suggested atleast trying it.

If you know a better way please elaborate because obviously a 50+ pound sub is too much to ship back for some tinsel leads...

-adam

I know stinger makes that turn off pop stopper... but it seems like the same conept as this....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    oh, you're doing it for turn off pop?? ohh... :o:o... my bad...

here is an easy thing to try

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    oh, you're doing it for turn off pop?? ohh... :o:o... my bad...

here is an easy thing to try
    Uhhh... I have no clue how to translate that...

that's way above my head.

a diode is like a wire with a timer on it then? what is this talk of a capacitor?

I need a diagram...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2005
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    Try one of these:
    LINKY
    wow thanks... you rec. any specific one?

this is kind of like the stinger one I was looking at.

i appreciate it!
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    lol... one of these and one of these and some solder and some hook-up wire (aka extra crap wire you have laying around), and you should be good... if you want to go the extra mile, you could even put the 2 components in a little plastic box... or you could be like me and just wrap them up in masking tape...

edit: yeah, my solution costs like a dollar at radioshack... :)

you could also go to an audio shop, they tend to have a few of these things around, but 20 bucks seems pretty steep for this...

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    this would go on the remote wire to my amplifiers then?

lol i'm a PITA....

I'm about to leave here and I really need to know where this goes before I leave town.

if you can give me a hand call 1.309.531.7537 and tell me what wire I put this on. :D:D

thanks!
    adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    this would go on the remote wire to my amplifiers then?

lol i'm a PITA....

I'm about to leave here and I really need to know where this goes before I leave town.

if you can give me a hand call 1.309.531.7537 and tell me what wire I put this on. :D:D

thanks!
    adam

Oooh...remember that number....prank calls.....:D :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    Oooh...remember that number....prank calls.....:D :D
    won't matter. lol it doesn't work half the time.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    no phone atm, but yes, that goes on the REM wire... REM into the butt of the diode, then from the striped end into the amp. at that junction (the striped end), you solder the positive end of the cap, and then solder some scrap wire to the negative end. you can then run that wire to ground somewhere.

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    That didn't work guys..... I don't know what to do now.....

i bought a 47uF i don't think that is of enough value to delay long enough..... ****.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    i up'd it... now my HU doesn't work... most likely fried... the factory works fine.

my sunroof doesn't work... and my windows don't work.

same **** capacitor too just more microfarads to increase delay.

so yea. i'm a happy camper... but hell ya know what... i figure if this is my first fuckup it's alright.....

good night

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2005
    Hehe. Well, I guess when you get into doing it all yourself, you're going to make a mistake sometime. Just be glad you didn't lose everything in a ball of flames! :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    Hehe. Well, I guess when you get into doing it all yourself, you're going to make a mistake sometime. Just be glad you didn't lose everything in a ball of flames! :D
    yea - i'm not too worked up about it. I think my windows run off the same circuit brekaer as my sunroof... they are not getting power because i hear no clicking noise... if I had a test light this would help...

-adam

oh yea... i found why i have turn off pop... my freaking remote turn on wasn't connected to the remote turn on wire... it was connected to the accesory power!!! and isn't the remote turn on blue and white... sigh... lol

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    hehe... hey, look at it this way - you don't have to dick around with relays and diodes and capacitors any more :).

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    hehe... hey, look at it this way - you don't have to dick around with relays and diodes and capacitors any more :).
    yea but I do have a fried head-unit... an no windows.

i wired it up right too... who knows what happend...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    check the fuse for the windows, that SHOULD be what died. your HU might have a fuse in the powerline, check that too before you go buy the p9...

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    check the fuse for the windows, that SHOULD be what died. your HU might have a fuse in the powerline, check that too before you go buy the p9...
    I can't buy anything but alpine now since i bought the interface for iPod. So I'll either get another 9831 or try to get another model from last year (which shouldn't be that hard)

there is only a fuse for my sunroof... which doesn't work either.
    i assume the windows just go off a relay?

Yea I know the alpine is done because my factory one powers up... I don't know why it did this though. i had them in paralel and grounded the negative.

I've learned my lesson though and I think after I get this fixed I won't do anything like this anymore. I have a bad feeling it's going to cost me out the ****.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    I got it fixed... and i have no more turn off pop... my windows work... it wasn't a big deal... a buddy at cc was impressed with the sub. he agree's that i have an unbelievable amount of headroom...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...