Would This Be OK?

jamas33
jamas33 Posts: 89
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
after the theft of all my equipment... First Choice sent me the replacement and instead of sending me the polk MM12 they said they will replace it with the Kicker 12 L7 as it turned out they were out of them.. and I felt like watch them send me the model below, but to my pleasant but YIKES surprise the guy sent me the 15 inch L7. Now I have two of these and the amp they sent to power it is the Kicker 1200.1 1200 RMS stable at 1 ohm. Would this work or should I get another amp? The guys doing the installation said it would work but those Subs really want some serious juice. We were thinking of grabbing the Kicker 2500.1 but those only go down to 2 ohm loads. The 15 L7 are dual voice coil 4 ohm. Any word of advice. I like matching/pairing up my subs/speaker and amp set.. the same brand. Pictures are forthcoming
Equipment List:
Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
Planet Audio P13.3
Ipod 60 GB
XBox
AMPS:
Kicker KX1200.1
Kicker KX850.4
Speakers:
Front: Kicker RS65
Rear: Kicker RS65
Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
Post edited by jamas33 on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited June 2005
    You are in the right to thinking you may want a bigger amp. That set up will warrant some serious power. You can try Orion's 2500d....not really up on their new amps, certainly their older HCCA line was top line, IMO. You can also try and find some of the digital class X amps, they put out a lot of power, (according to the ratings at least)...try this one on for size, I have two of their A/B amps and they sound good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5784055067&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It says it is rated at 4000W RMS...hmmmm

Good Luck

Scott

By the way, if anyone has any experience with Class X digital amps could you post an opinion on them?
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by jamas33
    after the theft of all my equipment... First Choice sent me the replacement and instead of sending me the polk MM12 they said they will replace it with the Kicker 12 L7 as it turned out they were out of them.. and I felt like watch them send me the model below, but to my pleasant but YIKES surprise the guy sent me the 15 inch L7. Now I have two of these and the amp they sent to power it is the Kicker 1200.1 1200 RMS stable at 1 ohm. Would this work or should I get another amp? The guys doing the installation said it would work but those Subs really want some serious juice. We were thinking of grabbing the Kicker 2500.1 but those only go down to 2 ohm loads. The 15 L7 are dual voice coil 4 ohm. Any word of advice. I like matching/pairing up my subs/speaker and amp set.. the same brand. Pictures are forthcoming
    wow 2 15"s... lol

BIG AMP!! man your fennin to be ridin' down the block pertty heavy with that.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    class X is a new one to me... but jamas, as you're perusing amps, keep in mind the impedance of your setup. to run both subs on one channel, you'll be at either 1 or 4 ohms, depending on how you wire them. you can get a two-ohm load, but only if you put each sub on its own channel.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    class X is a new one to me...

It is a Class D amp with a variable/digital controlled power supply. I summice that when the load on the amp increases, then so does the power...it is touted as being more efficient than the Class D amp...

edit: Take it for what it's worth, but here is a blurb from MA-Audio
    Which from what I can see is a Clif Design rebadged, or maybe Clif is MA-Auido badged. Either way here it is:

What is Class X Amplifier? A Class X amplifier is basically a Class D amplifier but incorporates a digitally controlled power supply. What makes Class X better than a Class D amplifier is the overall
    efficiency is higher in a class X by 10%. This is what makes the MA Audio class X amplifiers the best competition amplifiers in the world. These amplifiers have an efficiency rating of 90%. This rating is possible due to their digitally controlled power supplies thus making them better than any other ClassD amplifier in the world. Each amplifier is bridgeable with another MA Audio Class
    X Amplifier, thus combining the output power of both amplifiers.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2005
    Have you considered selling them all to buy something that will sound GOOD and not as LOUD?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    Have you considered selling them all to buy something that will sound GOOD and not as LOUD?
    I think I'll just make the truck a ghetto LOUD A$$ truck and go for the SQL in the car. They were testing it out at the shop the other day.. and these 12 15L7 is hella loud..
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    ive had a little experience with USAmps DE-3000 which is their line of digital. The one I got to play with was 96% efficient:eek:
    3000watts a 1 ohm.
    They are supposed to have 3x the damping factor, softer clipping, and have a much higher frequency response. At least thats what I remember reading off the old usamps site.

These amps sound much better than class Ds, but not quite the sq of an ab. They are also much more expensive.

$1500 compared to a $1000 ab amp for the de3000.

USAmps also had the DD now. 4200x1 ohm:D

And you must take into account, being USAmps-they are highly underrated.

Ive never heard it called class X before. Ive heard some called class t before though...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    Class X/Class T....very interesting sounding. 96% efficient!! Wow...that's amazing....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520