Anyone ever heard of....

spwuinmk67
spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
This is probably geared more towards Thom of Josh, and maybe Jstas cause he's in Jersey. Has anyone ever heard of Syntec Technical School? It's a mobile electronics installation school that also certifies you. Me and a friend of mine are looking in to going, and I wanted to find out some more about it. Here is there site. I've read through that and the papers they sent my buddy, and it seems pretty good thus far. We would probably be doing their Sat. courses cause of work, so the tutition would be about $5000, which isn't too bad. Any thoughts?
1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
MB Quart QSD216
in need of amps and subs

Home:
52" Sharp Aquos
PolkAudio Monitor 10's
Harmon Kardon HK3375
Xbox 360
PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
Post edited by spwuinmk67 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    Sounds cool, man!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2005
    Nope. I've heard of Ritop, Mobile Dynamics, and of course Installer Institute.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    I wanted to go to Mobile Dynamics.... but my mother didn't see it fit without an associates first... which is okay I guess since it will allow me to brush up on my math skills and the like.

I worked with a kid at circuit city who went to mobile dynamics and he had to be one of the dumbest people I've ever met. If I paid 8k for 1 - 1.5 months of education i'd latch onto every idea and word said.... he wasn't much help and didn't really know any basic concepts which resulted in a bunch of pissed off people since we had to waste our time helping him.

Sure maybe he could install but you could tell he had no experience what so ever. IDK I think in our cases a institute wouldn't hurt but if you just want to do something new out of the blue you may want to read up and get experience beforehand so you don't get fired for attempting to uninstall XM radio and mangling a customer's dash (the kid I mentioned above).
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2005
    Very cool! Go for it! Nothing better than making your hobby into your job.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2005
    So the entire course just teaches you how to take the MECP Basic test? From what I remember, its a $50, plus $25-50 for all of the necessary study guides from MECP/CEA. All of the info you would need is in those study guides... so I really don't see the point in spending $5k.

Just my 2 cents.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    So the entire course just teaches you how to take the MECP Basic test? From what I remember, its a $50, plus $25-50 for all of the necessary study guides from MECP/CEA. All of the info you would need is in those study guides... so I really don't see the point in spending $5k.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yea... but pieces of paper from schools speak for themselves now.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2005
    Never heard of them but that doesn't mean they aren't worth it.

However, if you are looking to make your way in the industry by doing such kinds of work, I would suspect that getting an ASE cert would get you father and ganer much more respect than just a little piece of paper that says you know how to install electronics. Besides, if your idea of doing installs doesn't work out, your ASE cert means you won't be hung out to dry and have something to fall back on to earn a living.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited June 2005
    I've already got a pretty decent knowledge base. I've read some books, done quite a few installs, I read a few forums, even though I only post on one or two, I'm in the middle of Car Stereo Cookbook. I figured that this will maybe help show me new ways of doing things, or even better ways, as well as give me the cert, which I'm sure a good majority of places won't look at you without. I'll also learn how to do alarms/remote starts, and some bolt on performance, both things I've been interested in. Maybe an ASE cert would be another thing I could look into, in conjunction with the one from the school.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by spwuinmk67
    I've already got a pretty decent knowledge base. I've read some books, done quite a few installs, I read a few forums, even though I only post on one or two, I'm in the middle of Car Stereo Cookbook. I figured that this will maybe help show me new ways of doing things, or even better ways, as well as give me the cert, which I'm sure a good majority of places won't look at you without. I'll also learn how to do alarms/remote starts, and some bolt on performance, both things I've been interested in. Maybe an ASE cert would be another thing I could look into, in conjunction with the one from the school.
    from my talks with mobile dynamics they act like it's a "You think you know, but you have no idea" kind of deal... I guess a ton of new information is introduced and everything like that. not saying you aren't educated just repeating what I've heard first hand...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    from my talks with mobile dynamics they act like it's a "You think you know, but you have no idea" kind of deal... I guess a ton of new information is introduced and everything like that. not saying you aren't educated just repeating what I've heard first hand...

-adam

I hate people like that. For one thing, how much do they think there is to this stuff? Another thing, how the hell do they have any idea what you know? Just because they do it for a living doesn't mean that they know more or they are better than the students. It's a pretty piss-poor attitude to have when teaching people.

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    I hate people like that. For one thing, how much do they think there is to this stuff? Another thing, how the hell do they have any idea what you know? Just because they do it for a living doesn't mean that they know more or they are better than the students. It's a pretty piss-poor attitude to have when teaching people.
    they aren't saying it to piss people off.. I guess the majority of morons who go there come in thinking they know it all and get hit with a rude awakening. I'm sure they have the whizzes who know it all too... but majority rules.

cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited June 2005
    Thier intentions are not the issue. What comes across is. You don't like it when people come in to this forum and tell you that no one here knows anything about car audio, do you? Well, students don't like being told that in class either. Why they hell does the teacher think that the students are there? BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW! They came and paid hard earned money to learn how. Just doesn't jive with me when the TEACHER has a holier than thou attitude.

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    Thier intentions are not the issue. What comes across is. You don't like it when people come in to this forum and tell you that no one here knows anything about car audio, do you? Well, students don't like being told that in class either. Why they hell does the teacher think that the students are there? BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW! They came and paid hard earned money to learn how. Just doesn't jive with me when the TEACHER has a holier than thou attitude.
    It was a statement on the phone... "many people come here thinking they know something. But they quickly learn they don't know as much as they think." It obviously comes across you different than it does myself... and for 8 grand I'd rather be put in my place and learn right than babied the whole way through because I won't change my views...

Many people that go do know what is going on... some think they know (which are the people with the problem), and some have no clue. AND I HIGHLY DOUBT ANY OF THESE PEOPLE GET ATTITUDE OR RUDE REMARKS FROM THE INSTRUCTORS. Afterall if that was the case people wouldn't be paying 8k for an 11 week program would they?

It was a comment made saying how many students who go there quickly realize they don't know as much as they thought.

I was very close to going to mobile dynamics even after the guy basically told me I'd be introduced to a whole new world of information//methods. I figure an institute would be best for me because I've only learned from wading through forums and reading day in and day out... no one has ever showed me how to do things properly.... I've only read forums, books, and magazines.. So I'm sure there is plenty of things I don't fully understand that wouldn't hurt to know if I want a job in this industry. Also I wouldn't even mind if I was told what I did know was completely wrong.

I highly doubt they mean it in a "you don't know jack ****" kind of way, Jstas... it's just their observation.
    You don't like it when people come in to this forum and tell you that no one here knows anything about car audio, do you?
    I could care less until this person gets into proof of why we are wrong... words are words and different people take them different ways. The guys comment was part of our conversation... if he was talking to you... maybe he wouldn't have said it. I sure as hell know there are alot of **** bags floating around the car audio scene and I highly doubt the guy would have said that to one of them simply because it would have created tension. But in my conversation it was a statement made in response to something I asked about general age//knowledge level//education level.

-adam

P.S. This polk forum is so stupid you guys know nothing
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited June 2005
    Dude, get your panties out of a bunch. Nobody is attacking you. All I said was that I didn't think it was a professional way to act for a teacher/instructor who is trying to get students to come to the school. If he meant it in a way that people get an epiphany when they go to school because they realize that they were just a hack then great. The way you made it seem was that they had some kind of chip on thier shoulder and generalized every student into the asshat category. That is not only unprofessional but completely unfair, even to the actual asshats. Alot of people I know would be taken aback by a statement like that from a would-be instructor and they would avoid his/her class like the plague.

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    If I would have felt I was attacked you would know it. I was offended in no way, shape, or form by your post.

but I completely agree with the ASE method as mentioned above.

EDIT: So far in my school selection process I haven't dealt with one school recruiting program that was professional.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    So far in my school selection process I haven't dealt with one school recruiting program that was professional.

Depressing, isn't it?

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    but hardly surprising... it was you, Jstas, I believe, who said once that audio engineers tend to be those electronics engineers that couldn't cut it in the 'real' electronics industry (video, specifically, and i am paraphrasing here). so it follows that those who teach it aren't top-notch people, cause they're stuck in audio... even ignoring the "those who cannot do, teach" maxim...

naturally, this is a horrible generalisation, surely some people choose to do audio, but you said it, not me...

also note that this is not intended to be angry or inflammatory - i don't want to set off your notoriously short fuse - i'm just throwing out a comment to see the reaction
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    but hardly surprising... it was you, Jstas, I believe, who said once that audio engineers tend to be those electronics engineers that couldn't cut it in the 'real' electronics industry (video, specifically, and i am paraphrasing here). so it follows that those who teach it aren't top-notch people, cause they're stuck in audio... even ignoring the "those who cannot do, teach" maxim...

naturally, this is a horrible generalisation, surely some people choose to do audio, but you said it, not me...

also note that this is not intended to be angry or inflammatory - i don't want to set off your notoriously short fuse - i'm just throwing out a comment to see the reaction
    please don't spark his power wire! wooot i made a funny
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Depressing, isn't it?
    more funny than depressing... recruiters will tell you to look around at other schools before deciding then state their job is to sell the school.... yea... when i worked at circuit city I told people to go to best buy and my occupation was to sell them audio.

I decided on a junior college and they already have all of my money for my first semester....
    cats.vans.bag...