etching plexiglass

unrealii
unrealii Posts: 268
edited February 2006 in Custom Fabrication
Anyone know how to etch plexiglass? I would like to put Eclipse, Polk DB, & Image Dynamics logos on the plexiglass for the false floor I will build next week. Only tool I have is a $5 engraver which I bought at harbor freight:D
LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
Post edited by unrealii on

Comments

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2005
    Mask off the area and go for it with the engraving tool.
    If you can you could use a cheap sand blaster after you mask it off.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2005
    If you want it done professionally you can take it to a shop and have it done with a special laser machine. My friend's dad owns a shop that does cnc cutting, laser etching and cutting, and flo-jet stuff.

http://www.flexyshop.ca/shop/category.asp?catid=44
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2005
    thanks for the info. I just found this thread in google. Doesn't look too hard if I can find the equipment.

http://guides.pimprig.com/modding/lokies_window_etching_technique.php
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • Peterpanipplesk
    Peterpanipplesk Posts: 2
    edited February 2006
    Mask off the area with double thickness tape and rent a sand blaster. Use lower pressure on the blaster. Lay down a large sheet of plastic on the floor so you can recycle and use the sand over again. That will save you money by not having to buy more sandblasting sand beads. Harbor Freight, actually, sells small DIY inexpensive sand blasters.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    though this is a rather old thread, that still sounds like pretty good advice...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs