MMC690 Crossovers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

I just picked up a pair of MMC690's off eBay for cheap, but unfortunately they didn't come with the crossovers, instead of eBaying a pair of crossovers, I would rather build them. I was wondering if anyone knew the crossover point for the MMC690's?

Thanks in advance.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2005
    I'm not sure, but I know they will have that info if you give polk a call. Here's a link to the manual...it might have some info in there:

http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manuals/car/PolkMomo_CoaxManual.pdf
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    If Im not mistaken , the tweeters high pass at 3500 Hz and the mid low pass at 3500. However you can run the mid at full range and it will sound fine.

I was biamping my old set of MMC690's (best set of 6x9s I ever had by the way) and I ran the mids full range (80 Hz and up) and they sounded great.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited June 2005
    I didnt buy these speakers for them to just sound 'fine', I wouldnt want to run these speakers without a proper crossover.

However, I've got some bad news. I dug up an old crossover I pulled out of a blown home audio speaker (it was a 4-ohm speaker, so the Xover would work fine with the Polks). And proceeded to test my speakers.

One worked flawlessly, and sounded great even on the 30 year old crossover. However, the tweeter was blown on the second speaker :(

So frustrating, I was really looking foreward to those MMC690's and now I have to send them back. *sigh* I'll have to make do with my ancient Pioneer 6x9's untill further notice.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    OK then let me restate.

You can run the mid full range and it will sound pretty damn good!

That better?

And if you want to buy speakers on the internet, stay far away from Ebay. You just found out why.

Buy them here as this is an authorized dealer and you can be sure youre getting brand new gear with the full backing and warranty of the manufacturer. Not to mention you wont have to worry about missing crossovers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited June 2005
    Believe me, I would love to just buy stuff new, but being broke all too often takes priority.

Also, the speakers are garunteed to work, so I'll get my money back. Im just angry because I had my heart set on these speakers, and now Im stuck back with my crappy Pioneers.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing