Questions about my system

13»

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    Now I'm considering buying an amp online and having someone install it. This HiFonics amp from SoundDomain looks awesome! Especially for the money! How would y'all say it compares to that Diamond Audio amp?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/HIFTX8805

I can't seem to find HiFonics' website; has it moved?

That HiFonics would put out more power and thus suit me a lot better (in my head, at least). Would the rear two channels be bridgeable? And what would that bridged channel be putting out? 440 watts? That'd be at 4 ohms...would that be alright for the MM2104?

Thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2005
    How come the HiFonics Titan TX 8805 is so cheap compared to their other stuff? I mean, their other amps (for instance, some of the Zeus line) at the same price are putting out much less power. Is the Titan a lesser line? If so, how much so? What am I giving up? Again, how does it compare to the Diamond?

Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    Now I'm considering buying an amp online and having someone install it. This HiFonics amp from SoundDomain looks awesome! Especially for the money! How would y'all say it compares to that Diamond Audio amp?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/HIFTX8805

I can't seem to find HiFonics' website; has it moved?

That HiFonics would put out more power and thus suit me a lot better (in my head, at least). Would the rear two channels be bridgeable? And what would that bridged channel be putting out? 440 watts? That'd be at 4 ohms...would that be alright for the MM2104?

Thanks!

After all this and now youre going to buy online and you dotn want the Diamond and.....AGGGGHHHH!!!

THAT DOES IT!!

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!!!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2005
    :eek:

:(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Now I feel bad. :(

Both the Diamond and the Hifonics are great amps.

Get the one that most closely matches youre power requirements, size requirements and budget considerations.

Me personally, Im partial to the Diamond. Dont trust the build quality of the Hifonics as much as the Diamonds.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Now I feel bad. :(

ROFL Not as bad as I do! I've been dragging this whole thing on for a long, long, long time, asking y'all so many questions and y'all have been so good to me and helped me along, even though I continue to buy nothing, lol. I just hope that I will eventually end up with something!

And as for the HiFonics vs. Diamond, idk. I just saw it and thought it had great stats.

ijdk....
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    The titan series is their lower model...like punch is to power for RF.

Didnt I warn you about the guy at the store??? huh? didnt i??

of course polk is going to sound like "butt" when he doesnt sell them. I know for a fact the momo sounds better than the cm3, or at least IMO its hands down better, just doesnt get as loud
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2005
    Ok, guys. I guess I've recovered from 'stupid salesman shock' now. I guess I'm still gonna go for the Diamond Amp. And if I can persuade the folks to let me dump the cash on enclosure/sub, I'll go with their custom box and a MOMO. Thanks for all the advice/input/comments/criticisms I've benefited from over the past...uhh....long time. Much appreciated.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2005
    Well, I've been all set to walk in there and get this amp and get the guy to install it and my components. I was even talking to Dad about it the night before last, and he seemed to not be against the idea (not for....but not against..). I had it worked out this way: $280 for the amp, $50 for component installation, $40 for various wires, RCAs, etc. That'd bring it to $370, which is a lot of money, but perhaps do-able.

Well, I went to the store yesterday and talked to the guy about just sticking the amp under the back seat until I can conjure up enough money to get a sub and sub box (since we were planning on mounting the amp to the sub box). He doesn't think it'll go under the back seat, but he thinks it'll go under the front passenger seat. That'd be fine with me.

Then we worked on price. While he's adding it up on a calculator, he asks me if I've dynomated my doors. Since I haven't, he says I really should; it'll make my speakers sound a whole lot better. I agree with this, and I'd like for my doors to be dynomatted. HOWEVER, the materials to do that costs $90, and then installing it (which he said takes an hour) is another $50! I'm like, I could buy enough dynomat to do my entire car for $90!! And an hour to do it?! :confused: Yeah, just forget that.

So then, he says $280 for amp, $54 for component installation, $50 for wiring kit, $17 for extra RCA (for sub when I get one), and $50 for amp installation. Then there was like another $20 for something else. That totals up to $470. I just can't and won't spend that much on an amp/installation.

I guess this rules out the Diamond Audio amp. :( Now I'm gonna go back to that other guy's shop and see what he can do for me. I may just end up with a Memphis amp. I know it's not the best, and I know y'all don't like it. But hopefully it won't be too expensive, and I *think* I'll be adequately pleased with it.

So, that's where I'm at now, I guess.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited July 2005
    dude...where do you live? theres gotta be a polkie who can do this for you...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    yeah, he's seriously messing with you. i understand that you get a 3-year warranty if the shop installs it, but that's a lot to pay for a warranty over a self-install. i'd advise you to think seriously about doing the install yourself with good stuff, rather than paying someone else to put in not-as-good stuff.

if you need or want it (and this is no judgement on you, it just seems like a decent way to waste some time for me :)), i can type up a tutorial/walkthrough thingy for ya, so you can see just how easy it is to install this stuff yourself.

i think your pricing is closer to what it should really be, except i'd use the 50 bucks from the component installation and put it toward wiring. if you do it yourself, you'll be buying speaker and power wires as well as rcas, and rcas are no place to skimp, as i'm sure you've heard endlessly here. on dynamat, the ubiquitous secondskin would be great here, should you choose to get some - i don't think it's necessary at this point in time, but keep in mind that if you do it now, you'll have less of it to do when subs roll around. ditto for the sub RCA - i'd do it later, when you have a sub install budget, rather than cramming it in now.

and yah, spunky's idea of getting a polkie to help is a good one - where u live?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs