chevy truck speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all. I have a 2000 chevy truck with factory CD HU, set up with a aux input. It's a reg cab truck and has 6.5-6.75 in the doors and 4x6 in the rear pillar. I would like to get new speakers, components up front.

I was looking at the db6750's up front with some nicer 4x6's in back with bass blockers. I will probably add an amp later and maybe a sub.

My ? is whether or not the stock HU will push the db6750's OK for now? I don't need it really loud, just a bit cleaner. thanks

Jason
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    As long as you're definitely planning on getting an amp later down the road, an HU will push the speakers fine as long as you don't turn it up too loud. But you will definitely need an amp, as the HU will by no means produce near the quality (nor spl, if that's what you're looking for) as an amp will.

While you're looking at speakers, I would strongly recommend you dump the rear speakers. Rear speakers will pull the soundstage toward the back and mess with the imaging. I'm just running front speakers in a Jeep, and another member here is just running front speakers in his 4-door Dodge pick-up; your regular cab pick-up definitely doesn't need rear speakers. Plus, foregoing rear speakers will allow you to put more money toward getting an amp.

Keep us updated!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2005
    sounds good!

Also, idea about how much RMS power I need in the amp 40-50 or more per channel.?

I was thinking of going 4-ch with 2 for the fronts and 2 bridged for the sub.

Would an 8" in a sealed truck box be enough for a tight, but deep sound? Thanks

Jason
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    I agree with Audiobliss, use front speakers only.

By going with fronts only you can move up to the MMC6500 components which are much better speakers than the DB's.

Your stock head unit will power the Momos but not very well. Youll get music out of em but youll be missing out on a lot of detail and other nuances.

I highly recommend gettig an aftermarket head unit because STOCK SUCKS!

For an amp you would want to get something in the 75x2 range. If you have the money grab this MTX Thunder342 for an outrageous $130!! This is a $300 amp but since its on year end clearance you can get it for a steal.

Or you could check out this Pioneer which is also $130 but no where near the league of that MTX.

These are just a couple options to show you that you dont have to spend a ton to have a great sounding system. I guarantee you that youll not regret it once you fire it up and get it dialed in the way you like it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    It sounds to me like you're interested in more of an SQ system than an SPL system. Because of that, an 8-inch sub should do just fine in you pick-up. I would wait and see what Mac says about it, as he currently has a 8-inch and is moving up to a 10-inch. You lose some lower frequency response with a smaller sub, but I'm not sure exactly how much. If doing away with the rear speakers frees up enough money, I would also definitely recommend going with the MM6500 components. You will never even want to upgrade your speakers if you get them! And that MTX is definitely a great amp! Especially for that money! However, if you want to get a 4-channel and bridge the rears for a sub, you'd need something else. I'll let someone else recommend the actual equipment, though.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    head unit. You will not find a better deal for the money right now.
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14535
    amp. again, you will be hard pressed to find an amp this good with this much power for less.
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13125
    mm6500 comps
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLMMC6500
    polk mm 8" sub
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLMM2084
    wiring/distroblocks/rcas/misc:
    www.knukonceptz.com
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    I would recommend a 10 over an 8. I went with an 8 for space concerns and although it works well Id rather have a 10.

I dont recommend buying anything online that isnt from and authorized dealer. You never know what youre getting and you get no factory waranty..
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D