James - The Modded Knight Monos

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Here they are broham. Gary Dodd totally rebuilt these, and stripped the front off (tone controls, phono stage). The Bias pots have been removed, and a cathode bias installed (self biasing).

New power cords, binding post outputs, and a new 'plate' added where the phono stage used to be, with a power switch, and Cardas rca input.

I've tried them with both 6L6 (what the amp was designed for), and had the circuit modded for EL34's. Honestly, I've been listening for 2 days, I think I prefer the 6L6. The EL34's will push out 35-40w, but I think it's a tad smoother on the 6L6's, and even though the transformers can handle EL34's, they are more suited for the 6L6.

That will drop power to 30w, but I think the overall sound of the amps is better - so I'll probably have the circuit modded BACK for 6L6 / 5881.

All NOS GE 12AX7 on the front end, and NOS Sylvania 5U4 rectifiers. I'll make sure you get a good matched quad of 6L6 / 5881. If I can't find a high test, matched quad, I'll order a new matched quad for you so you are plug and play.

I'll be talking to you this week, to firm up, whether you want them or not. I want to run them for a couple days after they are converted back to 6L6 just to verify what I'm hearing.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
    A few various shots to follow for you....

One thing is for sure, no one else on the planet will have what you have. The model 93 Knights are rare, and if you can find ONE, as-is and rusted you might be lucky.

These are full-mod, by one of the brightest guys in the industry, trannies were stripped and repainted, chassis kept original to show their lineage.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Guts.... Nichicon caps
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Formerly, sought after, classic pair of Mono Integrateds.

Now, f$%king WORLD CLASS Tube monoblocks.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2005
    Options
    wow.... beautiful amps and Gary did an excellent job.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Hell yeah I'm still interested!

Russ, this will be a hell week with three projects closing and moving into the new house, but I will get back to you on any contacts you send my way, it might just take a bit longer than normal.

My stonge email is probably the best way to get a hold of me for a while.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2005
    Options
    had to jump in here just to say how FRIGGIN SWEET those things look!!!!!!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I'm thinking some rosewood or walnut pieces along the front to cover the old potholes. This would give it a new, but still vintage look.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
    The holes are 'plugged', and I think it's actually kind of neat. Still shows where the amp came from, and that it's been heavily modded with all the front end 'junk' removed.

James, I'm having them modded even more. There are going to be plug-n-play 6L6 or EL34, your choice. The only caveat is, there will only be a *slight* power increase going EL34 - but a lot of people prefer the sound of the 34's - so best of both worlds for you - and you'll have a lot more tube rolling options.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Nice, thanks!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Knights are back in, fresh from paint!

You ready James?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Oh, I think so, got any updated pics?

Also, PM me the damage amount, the last e-mail from you had an "about" amount.
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Pics? by all means, I wanna see what these bad boys look like now! :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    They look the same. I had somehow 'nicked' the paint of one of the output trannies, and upon closer examination noticed one amps trannies were flat black, one was gloss. I just had the both redone the same.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2005
    Options
    well, they still look cool then
    hope to get to hear them one day
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    A shame they weren't done a week earlier...

Lou- You are welcome anythime!