speakers only work when pushed

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
my cerwin vega v-max 12 inch single voice coil, only seem to work when i push the cone in. Then they stop working after a lil while. The bass still hits the same when working but they just sop and play whenever. I took out the subs, and both register about 4 ohms a piece. I don't think it s the voice coil, but im not shure.I have a ma audio hk800d amp, and a crossover......PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    that's just strange... so you're saying that they need you to push them, then they'll play for a while, then they'll randomly stop, but when you push them again, they'll play?

if that is indeed the case, it sounds like it's sticking somewhere inside (like spilling pop on a keyboard). try this - if you play a strong bass beat really loud, will they begin to play on their own, or do they still need a push?

also, just because, make sure the tinsel leads are solid (the wires that go from the terminals on the sub into the center, make sure they're still attached well).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2005
    Sounds like a loose wire. Either the tinsel leads or a broken voice coil.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2005
    Could be that the spider has separated from the motor structure.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    My guess is the tinsel leads
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    This sounds like a good excuse to go buy something else!!

Im always on the lookout for a reason to buy more toys! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    everyone's here throwin out repair suggestions, and mac steps in and goes "repair? bah! get new stuff! who needs cash, anyways?"

well, maybe not quite like that, but it was still mildly amusing :p.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    buy my 2 12" MM2124's...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    everyone's here throwin out repair suggestions, and mac steps in and goes "repair? bah! get new stuff! who needs cash, anyways?"

well, maybe not quite like that, but it was still mildly amusing :p.

No, thats pretty much it. Ya cant take it with ya!!! :p

I have several mottos. One of which is "you can always upgrade and should do so as often as possible"!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    No, thats pretty much it. Ya cant take it with ya!!! :p

I have several mottos. One of which is "you can always upgrade and should do so as often as possible"!
    what's the other ones? That's pretty amusing... i highly doubt you have several.

You can't upgrade much more than pyle subs and pyramid amps these days
    cats.vans.bag...