Reversing Drivers on my garage find SDA-2's

jpayne
jpayne Posts: 15
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Good morning,

I now have the interconnect cable that folks told me was going to make these babies blow me away. It turns out that I have TWO Right speakers. I called Polk and a techie said, "just switch the drivers and the SDA connects between the speakers." Easy for him to say!

I am comfortable doing this if I can get a bit more guidance as to exactly what he was talking about. I have replaced speakers in cabinets before and am going to pull the top speakers out of one cabinet to have a look see. It may be obvious. The tech guy didn't really seem to have time to go into detail and that is what I need. I DO NOT want to damage these! I can't wait to disconnect my Boston Acoustic Ar-150's and hook these up WITH the crossover. Then put on We Were Soldiers on the home theater (wait till wife goes shopping) , crank the Denon, and hunker down. From what I have heard I am going to take a trip in time to the Ia Drang valley, November 14, 1965.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can provide me a bit of support as I work on these beautiful speakers.

Many thanks,

Jim Payne
Jim Payne
Computers were created by God in punishment
for Man's hubris.
Post edited by jpayne on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2005
    On speaker you have on the left channel, all you have to do is switch the location of 6.5" drivers and wires.

Remove the 6.5" drivers from the speaker, be sure to take note of what color wire was on the positive and neg terminals of each driver. Move both the 6.5" drivers and the wires from one hole to the other. Reconnect the wires, reinstall the drivers. Gab a beer and enjoy.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jpayne
    edited June 2005
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

My $50 pair of SDA-2's are set up and cooking! The improvement is incredible. Thanks to everyone for responding to my various questions. Now, instead of a cold brew, I think I will throw on my scuba gear and take a dive. I need something to cool me off after that big rush!Q

THanks,

Jim
    Jim Payne
    for Man's hubris.
  • Tide
    Tide Posts: 154
    edited June 2005
    Wow, $50 for a pair of SDA 2s? Nice deal even if you only get to listen to the right side of the cd. ;)
    SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
    SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
    LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
    Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
    Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    So would that be .5's instead of 1's with the 0's?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    So would that be .5's instead of 1's with the 0's?

Russ,

You should have someone writing all these funnies down for you, then get 'em cw'd.;) :D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • jpayne
    edited June 2005
    Well, folks, I am happy as a hog in a wallow! I am hearing things I never heard before. I know many people go for the new super high tech stuff, but these re-create the type of sounds I remember hearing from my vinyl. So, with 1500 60's and 70's albums I am having the worst time figuring out what to listen to first.

CD's and DVD may create great sound, but like these speakers, something is lost in the translation. With the advent of the CD the genre of album cover art died. That is one reason I will never let these LP's go. Jeeze, I got two copies of Long John Silver that were made into stash boxes! I have my old Pioneer PL-400 that I am going to hook up to the Denon and do some rockin'! Something about these speakers cries for having some vinyl run through them. God been berry, berry good to me!
    Jim Payne
    for Man's hubris.