Looking for info on MM5510, MM3000 and MM3055

rbarker31
rbarker31 Posts: 3
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Good Morning,

I found a guy selling these used. He can't tell me what Component system they are out of as he no longer has the users guide or box. All he has is the model numbers off the speakers. I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Can anyone tell me if these are Momo, DB Series or what? I will be installing them in a 1994 Mustang Cobra in place of the Mach 460 poo.

Are they from the MMC5250 or DB5250 component kit ??? Age?

If not will they integrate well with the MMC5250?

Thanks in advance,
Robert Barker
Austin TX
Post edited by rbarker31 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    psheew... MM signifies a momo product, beyond that, i'd just call polk customer service and give them the model numbers, they'll be able to help you out
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2005
    Or it could be Mobile Monitor series, which is 8 or 10 years old, I think...

Call customer service and ask Kim, he should know for sure.
  • rbarker31
    edited June 2005
    Just got off the phone w/ Polk Customer Care. The MM signifies Mobile Monitor which they stopped manufacturing about 6 years ago. Looks like I will be skipping over that deal. Thank you for all your help.

Robert
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    tell him it's a rip off and he really knows the model numbers he just doesn't want to look like he is ripping anyone off...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • TexasRhino
    TexasRhino Posts: 2
    edited June 2005
    Dude, I still have a set of mm6510 drivers and can tell you that they are old, but they sound incredible, still! The mm3000 tweater is a s old as granny, but one of the best tweaters I've ever heard, have those too. I wouldn't be so quick to pass if the price is right, what were they asking for them?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2005
    If you are going to skip it, you're a freaking idiot. In fact, send your seller here because someone here might be interested.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    If you are going to skip it, you're a freaking idiot. In fact, send your seller here because someone here might be interested.
    pass it up. :p:p:p
    cats.vans.bag...
  • rbarker31
    edited June 2005
    Being new to the forum, you sure know how to make someone feel welcome.

Why in the world would I buy someone's used crap that can't verify the age or what component kit they came from? This was an eBay item of all things. The bid started at 9x.xx.

Calling someone an idiot for being cautious and not wanting to buy junk sure makes you look intelligent.

Thanks for the great advise and keep up the good work!
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by rbarker31

Why in the world would I buy someone's used crap that can't verify the age or what component kit they came from? This was an eBay item of all things. The bid started at 9x.xx.

Calling someone an idiot for being cautious and not wanting to buy junk sure makes you look intelligent.

yea... if it was ebay you could have linked us...

anyways you figured it out... and he said... "You are an idiot if you pass these up so obviously they are good speakers..."

as for me... i just chime in randomly.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by rbarker31

He didnt call you an idiot. He said if you were to pass these up youd be an idiot. We didnt know you were looking on Ebay. As far as we knew youd found these in a local shop somewhere. Kind of like if you found a Sony 51" Plasma tv on sale at Circuit City for $500, youd be an idiot to pass that up.

Jstas is just blunt. Dont take it personally. And hang around a while. If for no other reason than to build your post count up so you get a cool title like me! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TexasRhino
    TexasRhino Posts: 2
    edited June 2005
    Man, doesn't e-bay have some kind of gaurentee or something? I don't know, cause I'e never bought anything there. I know some people who have though and they've been pretty satisfied with it. Any way, if you could gab those components for $90.00-$100.00, I think you should jump on it. If I remember correctly, that was like a 5 or $600.00 set. If they work, you will not be dissapointed. If you do and you are, I'll buy them from you dude. I don't live far from you at all. Good Luck!!!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Im sure most people selling on Ebay are honest folks but a lot are not. I dont want to take the chance of getting something damaged, repaired, remanufactured or some speaker with Sparkomatic marked out with a Sharpie and Polk Audio written in.

On top of that, buying stuff off Ebay you dont get a warranty or manufacturer support.

I like to stick to the authorized dealers like Sounddomain and Crutchfield. You know youre getting brand new gear fully backed by the manufacturer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D