WTB: Old Victrola in working condition

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited July 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I Know, what the hell is a Victrola. If you have one you probably know what it is. I'm willing to spend the cash on the right one.
Thanks!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2005
    Options
    disregard last transmission....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2005
    Options
    shipping from china, $350 :eek:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited June 2005
    Options
    That auction just screams of rip-off. $350 shipping and he only has 8 feedbacks
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • chenj16
    chenj16 Posts: 148
    edited June 2005
    Options
    wtf... the shipping is $350?? I have friends come from Shanghai from time to time. but I guess even within a luggage, it has to be very well packed..
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2005
    Options
    oops, my bad. Didn't see that.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I'll pass on that one. From what I hear what I should be looking for is one with a big cabinent at the bottom, not a horn. Something like orthonic?? I really don't know much about them.

One thing I do know is that a few years ago there was one at an antique place. My first experience. The guy said "Would you like to hear it" after he saw me looking. In my mind I was thinking "why the hell would I care". Well, he put a record on it and I was imediately in a different place. After hearing a few songs I finally returned to reality. It is something you just have to experience to understand. I took a trip back to the '20's. And I enjoyed it a lot!!! I think something around $400 to $700 is reasonable for the right one. It really was an experience I would like to visit much more often! Thanks for looking for me!!!

madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Orthophonic. You are looking for a tube powered mono version, vs the exponential horn that is connected DIRECTLY to the needle. Think about that, the output of record PASSIVELY amplified through a horn, cool. No hifi, but cool.

Something to spin those 78's you picked up today eh?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited June 2005
    Options
    did a local craigslist search for one and here is what I turned up.

Victrola

some look nice. Maybe you can find one near you. I'll be more than happy to check out any of these
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Orthophonic. You are looking for a tube powered mono version, vs the exponential horn that is connected DIRECTLY to the needle. Think about that, the output of record PASSIVELY amplified through a horn, cool. No hifi, but cool.

Something to spin those 78's you picked up today eh?

I think I am wrong then. The one that really turned me on was wound up and had no electronics whatsoever. I think the Exponential horn within the cabinent is what I want.

Man, what an experience! I remember my mom telling me she was trying to get my attention and I just appeared to be totally out of it. I remember her asking "Are you OK?"

madmax

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I know what you are saying, I got the phonograph my Grandparents listened to before electricity.
    It is an Edison model 250 in excellent or pretty damn good condition and came with around 50 10" records.
    I had to buy a new stylis but that was only $150.00 which is nothing to spend to listen to the music they used to listen to.
    I drift away to a simpler time and imagine them dancing in the parlor. (thats what they used to call the front room the phono was in).

I say go for it, it is real cool listening to the old **** recordings with all the pops and crackles that go with them.

One night the power was out here for a couple of hours and I just kept cranking the handle and changing discs.
    Way cool.
    GO FOR IT.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Yes,
    A phonograph for my parlor is exactly what I'm looking for. :) Man, I still remember the feeling when I first heard one. I'm still beating myself for not picking it up at the time. If I get one I'll write a nice long review.

madmax

• Skynut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Yes,
    A phonograph for my parlor is exactly what I'm looking for. :) Man, I still remember the feeling when I first heard one. I'm still beating myself for not picking it up at the time. If I get one I'll write a nice long review.

madmax

Look into it for a while before you buy. As with all equipment some are better than others.
    Mine came with a stylis from a victrola and the needles were steel and had to be changed after every 2 or 3 plays.
    You could actually see the wear on the needle.
    The records I have require the Edison Stylis which is a diamond stylis and is designed to fit the grove in his records.
    I only have 1 record that is not an Edison and I played it enough to go through 2 or 3 needles before I got the right reproducer and stylis.

Unfortunatley with my new wife comes 2 young kids and I do not want this thing damaged so I am going to park it at my moms house for a few years. I will not be able to enjoy it till they are grown and hopefully out of the house.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    Options
    You have a parlor?

Do you have a gift-wrapping room too?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Chuck you're really starting to worry me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Chuck you're really starting to worry me.

I'm already wondering if you could use a separatly fed cabinent next to the original to develop an out of phase signal to create the SDA effect. Guess not. Not stereo... :D

No, I don't really have a parlor. I wish I did though. :)

Good comment on the research Skynut. I did some research a few years ago but was in the middle of trying to build up my 2 ch rig and didn't follow through. I do need to learn more. :mad:

madmax

• Skynut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks

It is well worth it when you are done.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited June 2005
    Options
    haha... man i have not thought about those things in along time.

I do happpen to have one though. It needs a new needle but other than that it is perfect condition. A few minor scratches on one side of the cabinet but hardly noticble. The legs could also use a good tightning too.

I could post some pics when i get home if you were interested.
  • Skynut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I would like to see.
    I will put some of mine up when my g/f comes out with her camera, before it goes to moms.:(
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I certainly would like to see pics!
    madmax

• madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I certainly would like to see pics!
    madmax

Yes I would!

madmax

• Skynut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I will try to get pics up in the next couple of weeks.
    I am getting married on Sat and we will not be available for a week after but as soon as we get back I will use her camera and get pics right here.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Chuck, I have a friend who buys and refinishes them. I don't know if he stills has some. I know he does a beautiful job. He is local in No VA. Let me know if you want me to talk to him. I do know that they aren't cheap.
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Yes, talk to him. I've been looking at one on ebay. I'll post the link. All fine things cost money, I realize that.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    This is the one I've been considering. I'm guessing $700 to $1200. Obviously I would like to get one as cheaply as possible. This one just pulls my strings because it is Tiger Oak. My favorite!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38030&item=6538432997&rd=1

madmax

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    MM,

I just read that link on the Tiger Oak Victrola you're interested in, and it will only play records produced before 1926. He says it will ruin newer ones. Just a heads up. It is magnificent, though.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    MM,

I just read that link on the Tiger Oak Victrola you're interested in, and it will only play records produced before 1926. He says it will ruin newer ones. Just a heads up. It is magnificent, though.

Thanks! The era I'm interested in is 1912 to 1926. Man, if only you get a chance to hear some of the early 20's music on one of these. I also like big band music but I'll stick to my lowly standard turntable for that. The 20's was a simpler time and although I'm not too knowledgeable about the material I have heard some of it and seriously, it will take you to another place and time. It is not true to life sound whatsoever. It is a true to life 20's sound though. Good heads up though!
    Thanks,
    madmax

BTW, As I told my boss at work about what I was looking at an engineer who sits across from him came walking up. Lets see if I can get this right. A friend of his who used to work with him, the friends dad, was the one who came up with the idea of going from the rolls to a flat disk. He is the one who sold Victor the rights to the flat disk. It was actually his friends dad who owned the dog which was used in the original ads. "The dog who hears his masters voice". Is that cool or what!!!

madmax

• ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks! The era I'm interested in is 1912 to 1926. Man, if only you get a chance to hear some of the early 20's music on one of these. I also like big band music but I'll stick to my lowly standard turntable for that. The 20's was a simpler time and although I'm not too knowledgeable about the material I have heard some of it and seriously, it will take you to another place and time. It is not true to life sound whatsoever. It is a true to life 20's sound though. Good heads up though!
    Thanks,
    madmax

BTW, As I told my boss at work about what I was looking at an engineer who sits across from him came walking up. Lets see if I can get this right. A friend of his who used to work with him, the friends dad, was the one who came up with the idea of going from the rolls to a flat disk. He is the one who sold Victor the rights to the flat disk. It was actually his friends dad who owned the dog which was used in the original ads. "The dog who hears his masters voice". Is that cool or what!!!

Very cool!!

madmax

Let's try that again, Very cool!!
  • madmax
    edited June 2005
    Options
    In the past I've looked at a lot of these. Most are pretty pathetic looking and still run $400 to $700. If this one goes for less than twice that I will probably get it. I have little interest in trying to restore one myself. I'll leave that to the professionals. I saw one that is going cheaper but the drive to get is is aweful. I figure it has been years that I've wanted one so why not go for it.
    madmax

• ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Treat yourself..
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2005
    Options
    This is the one I've been considering. I'm guessing $700 to $1200. Obviously I would like to get one as cheaply as possible. This one just pulls my strings because it is Tiger Oak. My favorite!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38030&item=6538432997&rd=1

madmax
    Wow that thing is beautiful!!!

Is Tiger Oak just another name for quartersawn oak? Because I've never heard it called tiger oak before... I love that stuff!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15