Confused about install...

dakotaboy
dakotaboy Posts: 47
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright I ripped a part the dash to get to the headunit...it's a Kenwood KDC-319 (cheapy that my mom picked out when it was her car) but it should get the job done. This is what it says... KEY FEATURES
- Flip-Down Removable Faceplate with Carrying Case
- Full Bandwidth Power (less than 1%% THD): 22 Watts x 4
- Maximum Output Power: 50 Watts x 4
- Preouts: Front, Rear
- Remote Control: 10-Key
- Sirius Satellite Radio
SO does that mean I can't wire an amp to it because it only has preouts for front and rear speakers? I am so confused because the wiring I got has the little prongs on them but I dont see where they go on the headunit. I want to do the install today so fast reponses and any help would be great...thanks
Post edited by dakotaboy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    The front and rear preouts are labled that so you can wire the fronts up to an amp that powers your front speakers and the rears to an amp that powers your rears and this will allow you to be able to fade between the front and rear.

So in short, yes you can wire up an amp with them.

Dont know what little prongs youre talking about.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dakotaboy
    edited June 2005
    I now understand all that stuff but now I need someone with a kenwood amp to tell me how to wire the "speaker level input" wire... its a phone jack looking thing with four wires comming from it, two positive and two negative. The instructions say this: "Connect to power control lead to a power supply which can be turned on/off by the ingnition key switch (ACC line). With this connection, shock noise may be generated when the power of the genuine-accessory car stereo is switched on/off." "Do not connect the speaker output leads from a power amplifier (optional) to the speaker level input terminals of this unit, for this may cause malfunction or damage." "Do not connect cables and leads to both RCA cable input jacks and the speaker level input terminals simultaneously, for this may cause malfunction or damage" anyone have an idea. The diagram shows them going to the speaker wire to the sub...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    You dont need to use the speaker level inputs. Your head unit has preouts.

Trust me, you dont wanna use SL inputs. They let in a lot of noise.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dakotaboy
    edited June 2005
    So just plain...Ignore the damn thing lol Well just in case I have a pic of what it is: http://community.webshots.com/album/259752584sAHIbh/1
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Yup, totally ignore it.

Those are there in case youre upgrading to an amp but keeping the factory head unit which doesnt have preouts. Youd just run youre speaker wires into the amp and voila.

But you do have preouts so ignore these.

• dakotaboy
    edited June 2005
    alrighty, cool, thanks!