INput on DENALI project

Options
JDMCivicB16B
JDMCivicB16B Posts: 67
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
WOW, Long time since I've been here. Hey all
New project..wife just bought herself a 03 XL Denali 2 weeks ago. And we just went shopping for her audio system.
Pioneer AVIC-N2, MMC6500s, MMC650s, MMC5250s, 2 JL 10W7s, JL 500/1 x 2, JL 450/4, PolkMOMO c300.2 and TME-M770 x 2. (I didnt pay for this lol..the wife did..girls gets what she wants!)

Well, Since I have to install all this stuff for her. Few Questions...

Will I need an Optima Battery? Was thinking of getting a yellow top.
Second...I guessing I will need a module to run the TVs to, so I can hook a DVD changer. Any suggestions?

And Anyone know how the JL 10W7s sound..I know they are probably awesome, but I would of went with Momos, but brother-in-law referred the JLs. And should I do a ported or sealed box for the JLs? which would sound better? My wife is Latin, so she likes that reggaeton music and stuff like that..so she wants alot of thump in her bass.

Thank you for your time guys.

-juno
'95 Civic EX
dbs in front stage
Type-Rs in back
MTX T202
10inch PolkMOMO sub
Kenwood HU
Kenwood KAC amp

'00 s2k ....
Pioneer AVIC-N2
MMC6500 x 2
JL 300/2
(still pending..)

2003 XL DeNali
(the wife's new ride)
..new project..wife comes first before s2k
Post edited by JDMCivicB16B on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    Options
    have you already bought the w7s? W7s are way, im talking sky high overpriced. It will sound good and get pretty loud but it is no where near worth the price tag that you pay for it. Honestly, Im not impressed at all with w7s in a sealed box. They sound much better in ported.

It wouldnt hurt to get an optima, or just a better battery period. I run dual energizers that just have tons of juice. But if you got an optima, get a red top. Red tops are much better than yellow tops for car audio. I'd also look into batcaps, specifically the 800 model which are like $170 shipped on ebay.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Options
    The W7 is about the best SQ sub on the market. If youre considering this, and can afford it itll be a great choice. For less money and nearly eaqually great performance give the W6 a look. As far as which box, I prefer sealed 9 times out of 10. Better SQ. Ported boxes dont sound bad, just a little boomier than I prefer.

I wouldnt worry about another battery. That Denali has a very stout chargins system and will be plenty capable.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JDMCivicB16B
    edited June 2005
    Options
    my wife did buy the W7s..all the equipment I mention she bought. I wasnt there when she got the W7s, her brother went with her. I was a little disappointed.

What about for the TVs..I need a video module..so I can run a dvd changer to it or maybe a PS2 for me :-D
    any suggestions?
    '95 Civic EX
    dbs in front stage
    Type-Rs in back
    MTX T202
    10inch PolkMOMO sub
    Kenwood HU
    Kenwood KAC amp

'00 s2k ....
    Pioneer AVIC-N2
    MMC6500 x 2
    JL 300/2
    (still pending..)

2003 XL DeNali
    (the wife's new ride)
  • exalted512
    edited June 2005
    Options
    rule 1 from now on, dont let her brother go with her to buy anything anymore. She spent about twice as much as she needed to to achieve the same sound. If you havent bought the wiring kit yet, I highly recommend www.knukonceptz.com. You wont find better wire unless its 3x the price. Period. As far as wiring a tv goes, I'm not sure. I'd find out what kind of setup youre going with and email Pioneer with a possible choice of this setup and ask them how you would hook it up to everything.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    rule 1 from now on, dont let her brother go with her to buy anything anymore. She spent about twice as much as she needed to to achieve the same sound.

This is entirely subjective.

Me personally, I dont think there is much better out there than the W7. But then again, Cody is young. He'll learn once he gets some years and wisdom under his belt. :p:p

Youll be happy once you hear it.

One thing we can agree on is Knuconceptz. Excellent wire and excellent price.

Personally I use Monster Standard home audio RCA's. $14 for 20'. Cant beat that. For power wire I usually use wiring kits from Tsunami.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I worked with an installer at cc who worked at the local JL dealer... he was so wrapped up in JL he got pissed when I told him I didn't go the local shop and buy JL...

he's like for 950 we coud have set you up with 2 W3's and a JL amp.... I think the deal with JL isn't JL as a company but the dumbasses who are so wrapped up in it that really put it on a level it really isn't....

just my .02 (USD too because I don't play that funny money)

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Its the same as the people that trash MB Quart. When a brand gets on top, its automatically targets.

Just wait, 10 years from now everybody will be trashing Focal and Adire.

• JDMCivicB16B
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I know JLs are good, but personally I am not a big fanatic of JL because everyone you talk to basically..says the same thing..."oh when i save up some money, I am going to upgrade to some JLs." I am a fan of their amps though.

And today..this dude got me frustrated, because he tried to say Audiobahn is better then PolkMomos. I had to laugh in his face. He was so wrapped in Audiobahn, swearing their subs are the best ever. LOL

And I know how to hook up the Pioneer AVIC-N2, because I already did it in my S2K. But we also bought 2 Alpine TME-M770s..they are 6.5" touch screens that will go in the headrest. For my daughter you know, and future kids (LOL)...I just need to figure out what I need to run audio and video signals to them.
    '95 Civic EX
    dbs in front stage
    Type-Rs in back
    MTX T202
    10inch PolkMOMO sub
    Kenwood HU
    Kenwood KAC amp

'00 s2k ....
    Pioneer AVIC-N2
    MMC6500 x 2
    JL 300/2
    (still pending..)

2003 XL DeNali
    (the wife's new ride)
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Options
    That I agree with. Once something becomes so popular that everybody has it, I dont want it anymore. Same with Rockford Fosgate. That idiotic 2 Fast/2 Furious movie ruined RF for me! :mad:

• JDMCivicB16B
    edited June 2005
    Options
    yea I hate those fast and the furious movies, because it such a disrespect to the race world. racing is totally the opposite of that movie.
    Had teens thinking they can go 160mph in their coupe lol. And helped the ricers get a win lol.
    '95 Civic EX
    dbs in front stage
    Type-Rs in back
    MTX T202
    10inch PolkMOMO sub
    Kenwood HU
    Kenwood KAC amp

'00 s2k ....
    Pioneer AVIC-N2
    MMC6500 x 2
    JL 300/2
    (still pending..)

2003 XL DeNali
    (the wife's new ride)
  • exalted512
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod

Me personally, I dont think there is much better out there than the W7.
    This is because youve only heard the w7, you havent heard any other brands besides whats at tweeter/cc/bb/other small random shops that carry mainstream stuff. The **** is a more spl oriented sub--it sounds better than the w7. And you still think the w6 doesnt have better sound quality than the w7...which is wrong;)
    Buy a brahma for half the price of a w7, then youll understand
    -Cody
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2005
    Options
    i tried 6 different amps total in my system 4 different sets of mids and hi's and 6 different subs trying to find the right sound i wanted in a year and half span and the jl amps were some of the cleaner i had put in and liked in a long time...
    i ran a 10w6 with the 500/1 sounded great but was always trying to get more out of it than it could do the 500 was just a little to much wattage cracked the surround twice (but i was hitting 133.6 db with one 10) so i uped to the 10w7 so much better match with the 500/1 i run sealed boxes just dont like the sound of the ported in my vehicles thru the new set up on the spl and now i am hitting 137.2 db with out distortion at the windsheild in a jeep grand cherokee the bass is clean and hard the sub is quik and responsive and that was some thing that was important because a lot of the music i listen to requires the sub to do a lot of work
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Options
    This is because youve only heard the w7, you havent heard any other brands besides whats at tweeter/cc/bb/other small random shops that carry mainstream stuff. The **** is a more spl oriented sub--it sounds better than the w7. And you still think the w6 doesnt have better sound quality than the w7...which is wrong;)
    Buy a brahma for half the price of a w7, then youll understand
    -Cody

Yeah, youve got me there. Ive not heard anything except those that are carried by CC, BB, Tweeter and local shops in Tennessee and Texas....hmmnm that would be about 95% of the subs on the market.

I admit to not hearing the **** but I have heard a pair of Brahmas at a local competition. They were in a SPL car but I thought they sounded excellent.

Still I stand by my statement. The W7 is in the top 1% of subs, so....

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Yeah, youve got me there. Ive not heard anything except those that are carried by CC, BB, Tweeter and local shops in Tennessee and Texas....hmmnm that would be about 95% of the subs on the market.

I admit to not hearing the **** but I have heard a pair of Brahmas at a local competition. They were in a SPL car but I thought they sounded excellent.

Still I stand by my statement. The W7 is in the top 1% of subs, so....
    W7 isn't flame retardent...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by swerve
    W7 isn't flame retardent...
    yes, the w7 is for flaming retards
    bartmoon.gifloser.gif893karatesmiley-thumb.gifjackass.gif
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    yes, the w7 is for flaming retards
    bartmoon.gifloser.gif893karatesmiley-thumb.gifjackass.gif
    -Cody
    hahahaha
    it's over... me and cody win...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Oh, so this is battle of the GIF's eh?

Alrighty then.............

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    haha

ahhhhh shake it!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2005
    Options
    no fair, i dont have internet so im on my g/f's computer!!
    ****.gif
    i like that one though...
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    i win
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    Options
    the bush one is funny, but yeah, the chick wins...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs