db650 in rear deck

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I really REALLY want to get those db650's for my 2001 Honda Civic Sedan. The only problems is that they wont fit in my rear deck. I talked to some people at Crutchfield.com and they said it's a difference of 3/10 of an inch in mounting height that's keeping the speakers from fitting. I need solutions. I'm interested to know if anyone has any "ghetto" rigging ideas that could solve my tiny problem. 3/10" should not keep me from audio happiness!! I've never installed speakers myself but I was gonna give it a shot since Crutchfield supplies all the instructions you need.

Thank you!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Is your rear deck set up for 6.5 or 5.25? If the 6.5 wont fit then look into the 5.25.

You can overcome mounting depth rather easily by simply adding a spacer. Im not sure but the DB650 may come with a spacer already but if not you can make one out of wood. Pretty simple actually.

The problem is youll be able to see it as itll stick up from your deck. Crutchfield probably has spacers thatll work and will look a lot more stock than a wooden ring between your speaker and deck.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited May 2005
    My car is set up for 6.5" however the problem is that the tweeters on the db650 will touch the factory grille. Crutchfield.com said a spacer can't fix mounting height it only fixes mounting depth. And I guess i could remove the grille but it seems to be a part of the rear deck. Thanks again!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Why not dump the stock grills and use the DB grills?

That may be an invite to thugs to rip off your **** but its an idea.

Hell, I say dump the rear speakers altogether. Get yourself a good set of components for the front and be done with it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited June 2005
    Yea I think I may end up removing the stock grills. The only problem with that is the grills are attached to the rear deck and I'll have to cut them out. Hopefully it won't look too ghetto. Anyone have a 2001 Civic with the same problem??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing