new SDA owner

ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
First of all, I would like to thank SCompRacer for driving all the way to Indy and Caseymour for providing a meeting place.

I got my first pair of SDA's Saturday. SDA 2A's to be exact. In pretty good shape, except one tweeter does have issues at certain frequencies and volume levels. They were auditioned in a garage, so their full potential wasn't heard until I got them home. Even still they really won't be heard at their fullest potential until I get the tweeters upgraded and provide more power than my HK3380 can provide. I must say, even with the bad tweet and the lack of power, they're pretty impressive. I believe they're receiving about 90 watts since the HK is rated @ 80 wpc @ 8 ohm's. Aren't the 2A's 5 ohm? I can't wait to get the upgraded tweeters from Polk. They should help matters. I will then continue the quest for some tubes.

I would like to thank SCompRacer and Caseymour again for everything. It was a pleasure doing business(if you want to call it that) with them. Very standup guys, in my book. I wouldn't hesitate working with either of them in the future.
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2005
    Congrats on the awesome speakers but where are the pictures??? :)
  • ND13
    edited May 2005
    I don't have a digital camera as of yet. Will have one soon, then somebody can walk me thru putting pics on here. That way I can show the cherry RTA 8TL's and Mon 10A's I found here locally. I mean cherry as in minty fresh, because they are oak veneer not vinyl.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2005
    Your most welcome! Njoy. It was a great day. I thank casey too. With no mountain tops around here, I took a focus drive instead. Lots of nice scenery down there.

Anyway, here are your speakers.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2005
    More.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2005
    Last one.
  • ND13
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, That's the ticket!!!!!

Thanks Rich.
  • egp823
    egp823 Posts: 74
    edited May 2005
    ND 13,
    congrats on your new baby. by the way how is the RTA8tl? how does it compare with your new SDA? Might have the opportunity to purchase an RTA8tl too? tks for any advise.
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by egp823
    ND 13,
    congrats on your new baby. by the way how is the RTA8tl? how does it compare with your new SDA? Might have the opportunity to purchase an RTA8tl too? tks for any advise.

As of right now, they're my favorite Polks, I'm sure that will change once I get the tweeters upgraded in the SDA's and more power to them. The Mon 10A's will have a bad driver replaced, hopefully tonight, once the pkg from Polk arrives. Then I will get to really test those babies out. The RTA's have a great all-around sound to them. They aren't fabulous in any particular area nor are they bad in any, either. They are more efficient than the SDA's, but not as much as the Monitors. The SDA's, of course, have them beat in soundstage and imaging. But for all around use they are hard to beat in my book. Good bass reproduction, good mids, and clean/crisp highs. I do recommend replacing the tweeters with the silks. It will be the best $96 dollar upgrade you can buy. I highly recommend the RTA's as long as you don't pay too much. What are you getting them for? What kind of shape are they in? What are you using them for? What are you driving them with? Those are the questions that need to be answered first.
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Was listening to a little RUSH last night on the SDA's....WOW!!!!

I heard some details that I have never noticed before and I've been listening to RUSH for close to 30 years now. Can't wait to hear them with the new tweeters even more , now.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2005
    After your new silk domes break-in a bit, and you're familiar with the sound, I highly recommend you spend $30 to upgrade the caps and resistors on your crossovers.

I'm glad you're enjoying your "new" speakers. The SDA 2 series is a solid performer.
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    After your new silk domes break-in a bit, and you're familiar with the sound, I highly recommend you spend $30 to upgrade the caps and resistors on your crossovers.

I'm glad you're enjoying your "new" speakers. The SDA 2 series is a solid performer.

Yeah, I was interested in doing that. I was reading your thread on the ones you just upgraded and was intrigued. Sounds like, to me, an easy upgrade that will make a huge difference in SQ and imaging. I will get with you when I have the time to sit down and break out the soldering iron. I know your insight will make things go alot smoother.

Thanks,

Noel