wtb: LSI7 wood dings ok.....

Options
McLoki
McLoki Posts: 5,231
edited June 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I am looking for a pair of LSi7's. I plan to remove the wood (for a slimmer profile) and wall mount them as surrounds. Because of this use, Color does not matter, nor does any damage to the wood sides.

Anyone looking to upgrade?

Michael
Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
Post edited by McLoki on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Isn't the wood designed to serve as part of the bracing? If so, you may be altering the sound of the 7's if they are removed.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • McLoki
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I initially thought that as well, but from an earlier thread on the LSi-15s the wood is just stuck to the sides with double stick tape. The entire speaker is actually gloss black like the top and bottom.

It is speculation on my part that the LSi7's are the same as the LSi15's in this reguard, but to mount on the wall as surrounds, the slimmer profile would work better in my situation. I hope to not pay a ton for the LSi7's since this may not work out, but I will certainly report back what I find. (with pictures and everything) :)

Michael

BTW - I bet even an unbraced LSi7 would sound better than the RM-6600 I am using now... :D I just dont want to pay full price for a speaker and then take it apart to experiment.
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • Graymane
    Graymane Posts: 92
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Graymane
    Shipping is outrageous but they haven't been bid up yet.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71572&item=5778760555&rd=1
    Damn!!! Their shipping policy is terrible and high priced - I wouldn't buy from them - on principle alone, they can keep that ****

They don't have enough transactions and positive feedback to be doing business on their own terms like that...
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I seem to recall that the side pannels can be removed by firmly pushing up on it but I think this only works on the earlier generation LSI bookshelves. (that would explain the double sided tape or vice versa?) My guess is that the side pannels provide some kind of external bracing so that the inner pannels can't flex much without having to flex along with the attached sides.
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Can't those ebay people be reported? I see no problem covering yourself with flat rate shipping (I base it off of the furthest location from me), but couldn't that be considered illegal or at the least unethical?
  • rnp614
    rnp614 Posts: 598
    edited May 2005
    Options
    When I talked to ken about trying to pull off the panels on my 9s he said that it would be near impossible because of the 3m junk they use to stick them on and to just leave it alone...
  • McLoki
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Graymane
    Shipping is outrageous but they haven't been bid up yet.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71572&item=5778760555&rd=1
    was watching the sale, but it has been pulled from E- Bay. (as well as the other 2 sets they had for sale..... :rolleyes: )

Michael
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Why is it ok to do it fo 15's then? Is it because the 9's are smaller so pulling it off would be harder?
  • rnp614
    rnp614 Posts: 598
    edited May 2005
    Options
    No idea, I had heard the same thing about the 15s which is why I emailed Ken to ask about the 9s. He didnt really explain why its not a good idea/why he strongly recommends we leave them alone.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2005
    Options
    3M makes many different levels of double sided tape. Everything from easy to remove to permanent bond. We use one type here at work which would break the piece before letting go.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • bvette94
    bvette94 Posts: 356
    edited June 2005
    Options
    lsi 7s here is a link to a pair .good price too. no affil.
  • McLoki
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I do not know if they are already sold (it appears they are) but I put my name in anyway. Please keep the links coming if you come across them.

Thanks again,

Michael
  • McLoki
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bvette94
    lsi 7s here is a link to a pair .good price too. no affil.

hey hey - I was fourth on the list for these and it made it around to me anyway.... They shipped yesterday and I should have them to start playing with next weekend. :D

Thanks for all your help everyone. (club polk comes through again)

Michael

BTW - I called Polk and asked them about removing the side panels. They said if I took my time and used a wide implement (putty knife rather than a screwdriver) I should be able to get the sides off. They thought they would still sound great even with the side panels removed.

I will post in another thread how it goes and how it looks. (I will mount them in place as is when I get them and see if I even need to modify anything. - I am pretty sure I will....)

Thanks to everyone for your help in me finding these - Great price for what I hope to be as new condition. (shipping UPS so I hope that goes well....):rolleyes:
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Cool... I'm curious what these will look like with that NHT cabinet style to them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited June 2005
    Options
    YGPM.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound