Allow me to introduce myself...

Options
4x44mud
4x44mud Posts: 5
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Greeting all

My name is Richard and I recently won an EBay bid for Polk Audio Monitor Series 11T Floor Loud Speakers. My previous speakers were JBL 4312's. I will be connecting them to a Carver HR752 receiver, so they will get plenty of power.

A few questions:

1. I paid $350... Was this a good purchase money-wise?
2. Does anybody have them and what are your thoughts?
3. My best guess ie they were manufactured ~1988, does this sound about right?

I am really excited about the purchase, but have not purchased anything "blind" on EBay before.

I appreciate your response.

Richard
Regards,

Richard
Post edited by 4x44mud on

Comments

• dhec27@pbtcomm
    dhec27@pbtcomm Posts: 18
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Welcome.
    2-Channel
    Amp: Parasound A21
    Preamp: Parasound P3
    Polk LSi9s
    Polk SDA-Compacts (on standby)
    Sub: Polk PSW404
    CD: Sony
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2005
    Options
    They were manufactured around 1988-89. They are an okay loudspeaker that will sound plenty different than a pair of 4312's. I won't say better, but different. I personally think they'll sound better, but that's an opinion coming from someone who has absolutely hated the sound of EVERY JBL I'VE EVER HEARD. That goes back to the early 70's the hatred. Big expensive ones too. They all sound terrible.

I won't lie to you about pricing, you paid a lot and I hope they arrive in excellent shape. I bought 4 pair of RTA11T over the years. Two pair I bought new, two used (one pair was "TL"). I started with the new pairs first around December 1988, and didn't pay more than $290 for either pair.

I don't have any of them left now.

HR-752 was a nice receiver. You could double or triple the amount of power you'll be using with that piece, and those speakers will love it.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the Forums Richard.

While I'm not up on the prices of the 11Ts and don't own a pair, the very basic and general guide for used speakers is around 3/8th the original MSRP. There are obviously many variables that can affect this including condition and the presence of or lack of original boxes and owner's manual. (And ICs in the case of SDAs.) The demand vs supply of a model also plays a big part.

If you look on the backside of your drivers you'll get a good idea as to when the 11s were made. If a driver has been replaced it will have newer manufacture date than the rest.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I guess I was typing the same time as George.

So, like George says. :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Welcome Richard,

If you do a search for RTA you should find some interesting information about your new speakers. As far as $$$ is concerned they are already bought and no point feeling any remorse. Listen to them first and then decide if they were worth the money.

I have owned mine since 1986 and I still haven't wanted to replace them. Maybe soon with a pair of Lsi's. With the right power they are really a great speaker. Very dynamic, deep bass great midrange. They image fantastic. One weakness is the original sl-2000 tweeter. It has a nasty notch at about 10/12khz that can cause some fatigue with some source material. My advice is, if this bothers you, to purchase the replacement tweets from Polk, I believe they are <$100 if you tell them you are a forum memeber. Most people will agree they will sound much smoother with the silk replacement tweet. Listen first then decide. I think you will find they are a much more accurate sounding speaker over your JBL's....let us know what you think of them.

Specs and discussion are avail if you use the search function in the forum.

Enjoy

H9

P.S. also make sure they are out from the wall atleast a foot for better bass response and I find they should be facing directly forward, no toe in or out.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • 4x44mud
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I originally placed a maximum bid of $250 for the speakers and just went with a gut feeling and decided to go for it. The speakers are in <what appears to be> mint shape, and are within 10 miles so I can pick them up <no shipping>. Ultimately, it's FAR cheaper than a new pair...

I also read about the tweeters and will order new one's this week. Do I go the Polk or is there a better way? For those whom have replaced them, I would appreciate whatever contact information you have for a supplier.

Again.... Thanks for the replies and have a great day!

Richard
    Regards,

Richard
  • heiney9
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by 4x44mud
    I originally placed a maximum bid of $250 for the speakers and just went with a gut feeling and decided to go for it. The speakers are in <what appears to be> mint shape, and are within 10 miles so I can pick them up <no shipping>. Ultimately, it's FAR cheaper than a new pair...

I also read about the tweeters and will order new one's this week. Do I go the Polk or is there a better way? For those whom have replaced them, I would appreciate whatever contact information you have for a supplier.

Again.... Thanks for the replies and have a great day!

Richard

Can't ever go wrong with local P.U. You can order the tweets direct from Polk. Click on the service & parts link at the top of this page. Ken the service manager will be glad to help you out. Polk's Cust Serv is 2nd to none. They are fantastic to deal with. I think you are going to thank your "gut" in a few days! :cool:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2005
    Options
    You didn't pay too much if you like them. I'll bet you can't find a new pair of speakers, that can touch them, for anywhere close to what you paid for them. Just my opinion, enjoy your speakers, I'm sure you will.

P.S. I replaced the tweeters in my RTA 8TL's and was pleased.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • 4x44mud
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I am very pleased with them! They are in mint condition, walnut finish (I think) and sound great! WHat is going to be even better is tomorow I am installing Italian Walnut Pergo which will light them up even more!

Richard
    Regards,

Richard
  • heiney9
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by 4x44mud
    I am very pleased with them! They are in mint condition, walnut finish (I think) and sound great! WHat is going to be even better is tomorow I am installing Italian Walnut Pergo which will light them up even more!

Richard

Keep us posted and let us know in more detail about the sound after you've spent some time with them

Enjoy

H9