Got a compliment the other day

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was driving home from work and was sitting at a traffic light. Los Lonely Boys was playing probably a tad too loud for having the windows down. This Mercedes Benz SL600 convertible pulls up next to me with the top down. The guy was listening to a local jazz station. I saw him mute it and twist his head around and give me what I thought was a dirty look. I just turned the volume down a bit.

The light turns green and this guy gets stuck behind a left turner and I drove on. I pulled into a convienience store lot to grab a soda and he pulled in behind me. He pulls up next to me and says "Excuse me!" Then he gets out and runs around to the driver's side of the truck. I'm thinking he's gonna get all pissy with me over something so I said "Yeah? What's the problem?" Then he surprised me and said that he couldn't help overhearing the stereo and he was amazed at how nice it sounded. He said that even though he was in another car with another stereo playing he was stunned at the detail that he could here in what I was listening to.

Then he said that he didn't know Ford put such nice stereos into the vehicles. Then I told him that it was all aftermarket stuff to which he responded "Really?!" So I proceeded to show him and he asked for a listening session and so on and so forth. He was pretty quiet through most of it. He said that he has friend who have home stereos that didn't sound that nice. He liked the slightly odd soundstage. Said it made him feel like he was sitting too close to the stage in a bar while the band played. Then he said that he thought the stereo in his Mercedes was really nice but if that was what the aftermarket was able to produce then he got screwed on the 8,000 dollar option he took. I just about fell on the floor!

So he asked if I thought he could get something nicer in his Mercedes and I told him that with money, anything is possible. Then I told him that if he was going to be looking to check out the new SR line from Polk Audio! :D So he asked for my phone number and such and invited me to come and see his home setup some time. He said he would be away for a while after the holiday and he would give me a call when he got back. So I dunno if he will forget or not but that was pretty cool to meet a guy in his 50's jonesin' over the stereo of a guy half his age!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    I dont believe you. You have proof this guy exsists? :p

J/K.

Thats about right. It would take somebody with a little age and experience to appreciate a SQ system. Not too many people seem to dig my setup as it doesnt "boom" loud enough and they almost laugh when I tell em Im running a single 8" sub. Its refreshing to find somebody that doesnt equate stereo performance with db's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    hey! i'm one of the few exceptions here to the teeniebopper rule... case in point, i spent an hour listening to a top-of-the-line mcintosh setup yesterday... absolutely gorgeous (after i rewired it a bit, of course - they had recently moved it to another room and no one else could hear they'd wired the tweets on one side out of phase :))... i listened to a classical guitar piece, and i fully expected the guitar player to step out from behind the component rack at any moment, that's how realistic and transparent this thing was... now i want mcintosh...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Thats about right. It would take somebody with a little age and experience to appreciate a SQ system. Not too many people seem to dig my setup as it doesnt "boom" loud enough and they almost laugh when I tell em Im running a single 8" sub. Its refreshing to find somebody that doesnt equate stereo performance with db's.
    Yea right Mac... performance is db's what're you talkin' about...

as for compliments i got one too.... the guy said... turn it down bfore i call police
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    I also live in an apartment complex so Im all about STEALTH. The less they hear the less likely they are to "liberate" it one night.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    it's funny mac... i put my polk subs in and you can't even hear anything outside of my car... so i guess i awas lying when i said i was told to turn it down
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    I cant hear much outside of my truck either. But then my Beloved Dodge is pretty well insulated. For a truck its very quiet at freeway speeds.

Thats great cause it saves me a ton on sound damping.