hopefully these all come up...
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2005
    Equipment List...

Head = Alpine CDA 7879 ?? (I forgot the model number - oops!)

Amplifiers = MTX Blue Thunder 754 (4 channel runs the 3.5" components in the dashboard and the 6x9 midbass's in the doors)

................. MTX Blue Thunder 502 (2 channel rammed down to 2 ohms stereo - runs the 4 marine 6x9's in the bed).

................. MTX Thunder 81000D (at 2 ohms runs the 10" subs)

................. another MTX Thunder 81000d (at 2 ohms runs the 12" subs)

Front dashboard = Audiobahn ACX352 3.5" coupled component speakers (3.5" mid-tweet, and 1" silk dome tweet with external high grade crossover networks - the big silver things you see bolted to the side of the amp rack). These guys fit into the stock locations in the dash firing up at the windshield.

Front doors = Audiobahn AS96Q midbass drivers 6x9 size (these are actually "convertible" 6x9's, but I removed the tweeters permanently and tossed them in the garbage... these guys are bandpassed from about 70 hertz up to 1k hertz with the use of some home made crossovers mounted inside the doors. They also had to be mounted inverted because the baskets are so deep that there was no way in hell they would fit inside the doors... they are absolutely huge. Due to the window cranks being too long to clear the magnets, I had to rape my 88 ram and steal its slightly shorter [and also chrome - nice side effect] window cranks).

NO REAR SPEAKERS (wow - shock for me).

10" subwoofers = 2 ea. Audiobahn AW102T ... mounted in iso-clamshell.

12" subwoofers = 2 ea. Audiobahn AW121T ... mounted in iso-clamshell.

Note - as a result of getting such a "sweet deal" I ended up with non-model-year matching 10's and 12's... but the up shot of it is that it helps differentiate the 10's from the 12's to the naked eye.

Explanation of ISO-Clamshell... basically you've got two subs, bolted to each other... you take a normal sub, mount it in the box on the inside... then take another one of it and bolt it to it from the outside, but inverted... flip flop wires on one of them and you end up with a "single" sub that's made of 2 subs... has twice the power handling of 1 sub, you get 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 the sound (you dont get as much as mounting them separately, but they'll dig deeper, and cancel out non-linearities), and you don't need as much box-air-space. Due to restrictions with space, the only way to fit 4 subs in this truck was to do an iso-clamshell. You only see 2, but there's 4... lol...

FYI - the 10's and 12's DO NOT share the same airspace -- there is a diagonal partition in there... the 10's are subsonically filtered (thanks to MTX for some help with rigging this feature into the 81000d itself) from about 40 hertz and low passed at 125 hertz. The 12's do not have a subsonic (other than the amplifier's natural limitation which i believe is between 15 and 20 hertz) and low passed at 75-80 hertz.

Power cable = Streetwires 0 / 4 / and 8 gauge.

Speaker wire = Streetwires 12 and 16 gauge.

Interconnects = Esoteric Audio A3 home audio Interconnects - oh they're F'ing beautiful people -- extremely nice.

Cd Changer = Kenwood 10 Disc

Satellite = Kenwood Sirius (10 disc and sat run off the mod by the stick shift).

Rear Bed Speakers = Audiobahn Marine 6x9's with horn compression tweeters.

Batteries = dual Energizer beefy mothers...

and it's all Powered By Dodge.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    when did you get that truck!?!
    I like picture 67 with the cat smelling the exhaust...The sound doesnt mess up with the mids being inverted like that?? I guess that means you dont want my subs anymore?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Looks good bro. Good to see some old school MTX power!

Im curious as to how the imaging is with the tweets in the dash.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2005
    1) because the midranges in the doors do not produce high frequency sound (read as "no tweeters in them") it does not screw up the sound having them inverted like that... just have to swap + and - wires.

2) the 3.5" mid-tweets and 1" silk dome tweets in the dash create an absolutely beautiful sound stage... i never really understood the term "imaging" until now -- doing this install really made me understand why rear speakers are "bad" and why all the beef should be up front. It's not as LOUD as I would have hoped (it's f'in loud, but not windshield breaking loud), but it is OH SO CLEAR and beautiful.

3) sadly - nopers on the subs - manufacturer rep gave me everything (speakers not amps or wire or anything) for free... some I had already purchased and they reimbursed me for.

4) I've had this truck for about a year and a couple months. I traded in the 99 extended cab for it.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2005
    ps - the old school mtx blue thunders i rebuilt from almost scratch - they were both smoked to high hell... they're bitchin now... "N channel mosfets - 2 bucks a piece, 1/2 watt resistors - 10 cents a piece, torroid coils - 4 bucks a pop... rebuilding a 500 dollar classic blue thunder amp for under 50 bucks and upping power output by about 20% ... priceless"
  • 96montecarlo
    96montecarlo Posts: 17
    edited May 2005
    clean ride man. How them audiobahns treatin you? I heard that all their stuff was garbage.
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    I got a buddy that competes with nothing but Audiobahn (he kinda has too as hes a member of Team Audiobahn) and he swears by the new comps. They must work cause he took 4th overall in SLAP SQ last year.

Still, Ill put em up against the Mighty MM6 and especially the MMC6500 anyday.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2005
    " home made " 3 way component system sounds sickly clean and crisp - power handling i am not too sure of though... i would prefer to have about 200 w / channel but i'm at about half that... so i don't know how well they do when you put the juice to them hardcore... but - we shall someday see.

the subs are actually very very impressive on the SQ end. not as loud as my old ID's ever were, not as punchy as my old DX's, but oddly they somehow sound better... i've never heard bass this rich and full bodied before... it doesn't tail off on the top of the bottom end.. it just smoothly integrates in an almost sensual dance of tones.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    They must work cause he took 4th overall in SLAP SQ last year.

Who? I never saw anyone competing at finals with Audiobahn.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Heath Jordan. Hes a member of Team Audiobahn and competes primarily in SPL. He lives near me and I hung out with him some at a SLAP show in Cleveland Tennessee last November. He let me listen to his system and told me he'd taken 3rd or 4th in DBQ. I took him at his word. I figured Team Audiobahn wouldnt sponsor somebody that sucked.

You probably know him, he's on the Carsound forum. 'Team Audiobahn-Heath' is his SN.