Phono Question

candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Would playing/installing/setting my turntable directly on top of a high power amp (375 wpc) such as a carver tfm-45 be a problem because of all the static electricity the turntable can generate?

Can I ground the turntable to the amp chassis?

Thanks
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• dhec27@pbtcomm
    dhec27@pbtcomm Posts: 18
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by candyliquor35m
    Would playing/installing/setting my turntable directly on top of a high power amp (375 wpc) such as a carver tfm-45 be a problem because of all the static electricity the turntable can generate?

Can I ground the turntable to the amp chassis?

Thanks

I don't think I would set anything on top of my amp. My integrated amp is approx. 140 wpc and it gets hot enough to fry an egg when I'm running it in Class A mode. As far as the static is concerned I doubt it would be a problem, but that's just my opinion.

I no longer have my turntable connected, but I believe there is a connection on my amp for the turntable ground.
    2-Channel
    Amp: Parasound A21
    Preamp: Parasound P3
    Polk LSi9s
    Polk SDA-Compacts (on standby)
    Sub: Polk PSW404
    CD: Sony
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2005
    I wouldn't, due to the heat trap.

If static is that bad, on your TT, I would look into some tweaks to reduce the static. Static adds to the pops on your lps if not controlled. Try different mats, cleaning cloths, or for $40 bucks you can buy a Zerostat type device to zap your system. They work great.

Ionoclast

This version from Mapleshade works great!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2005
    I have a 20 year old zerostat gun and will try it. My carver amps all stay completely cool so heat won't be a problem. Thanks.
  • dhec27@pbtcomm
    dhec27@pbtcomm Posts: 18
    edited May 2005
    Ok...now I'm really interested. What are the stats on your amps? Cool at that wattage?
    2-Channel
    Amp: Parasound A21
    Preamp: Parasound P3
    Polk LSi9s
    Polk SDA-Compacts (on standby)
    Sub: Polk PSW404
    CD: Sony
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2005
    I used to run the carver tfm-45 fairly consistently with the volume at 3/4 on my preamp but I had the preamp digital attenuator set to -10 dB so I don't know what that translates to. Some others may chime in here but my carvers virtually generate no heat no matter how hard I push them.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2005
    when i crank it my carver gets hot, otherwise its just slightly warm.