Bought a pair of RT55i's (cherry) on ebay

Options
OrangeToupee
OrangeToupee Posts: 488
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I bought them new for $405.00 including shipping. I've seen people get them for less, but it's not the worst deal in the world either. For some reason, I just had to have them and was frightened that I would miss out if I didn't go for it. I hope that they sound as good as my 800i's and 35i's do; I could have just gone after another pair of 35i's, but I considered the 55i's to be somewhat novel, now that they're disappearing and all. I don't really have any questions, just kind of rambling....
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    congrats! what are your plans for them???
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Well, they could team up with the 35i's in a four speaker music system, or replace my 800i's in the home theater system and use the 800i's in the music system. I guess it gives me a lot of flexibility, but I don't know what to do with them really, I just wanted to have them; it didn't hurt that they were cherry either, see all of my others are black, and I was smitten with the notion of a pair of cherry wood speakers. Color coordination isn't my strong suit, nor is it my primary consideration, so I'll have no qualms about them sticking out like a sore thumb. Next item has to be another subwoofer (or box with a woofer and lame amp, sorry Russ ;>}) to match up with them.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I just picked up (traded-up) to a pair of RT800i's at circuit city.
    They were closing them out new-in-box for $600/pr.
    I've think the RT55i's and the RT800i's are very similar speakers.
    People say that the RT800i goes a little deeper in the bass.
    Anyway, these are my surround spkr's and I'm very happy with them (much better than the FX500i's). Tradeup cost me $105.

I'm starting to think that bi-pole speakers are somewhat obsolete technology - with the advent of discrete 5.1 sound.
    I didn't know what I was missing with the FX500i's.
    I'd love to hear other peoples comments about direct vs bi-pole for surround channels.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    di-pole side surrounds are the way to go for HT IMO. i had rt35i's and upgraded to fx1000's. the 1000's deliver a much more engulfing sound, which i prefer for an HT aplication. 5 channel music? i think i would prefer direct radiating speakers, but i don't have an SACD/DVD-A, so i don't do any 5 channel music listening...