Monitor 10A's vs R30's

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Picked up a pair of nice Monitor 10A's on the way home last night.
Was told they were B's but weren't, bought them anyway. Grills were missing, but no major flaws either. Looks to have the original driver's and tweeters(peerless?), they have the dimples and are black w/ wires at a 45 deg angle.

Compared with the R30's there was no contest at any level. The R30's maybe had a little smoother lower midrange, but other than that, NO CONTEST!! I was amazed at how detailed the higher mids and highs were, even at -30db on the HK volume dial.
The sound was much more lifelike and crisp. The R30's will be moved to the HT as rears for now.

Did notice a slight buzz from one of the midbass driver's so a new one will be on it's way today from Polk. For now the tweeters are staying, I enjoyed their sound very much. I don't know if the replacements would make any difference. Any opinions on that issue?

One thing about the R30's that did shine, other than the lower mids, was when I had both playing together, they made the sound richer. But I'm sure not as rich as the SDA's will add.

My next comparison will be with my RTA 8TL's, tonight. Can't wait.

Still haven't been able to crank em though, bad driver and need to replace fuses with 5's. They only had 2's in them and nobody that was open at 11 pm had the right type of fuses. Will be able to pick them up on the way home.

Should the SDA 2a's and the Monitors complement each other or not?
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2005
    Options
    ND:
    The tens are an amazing speaker, i owned them in the 80's and ran dance using just them and a HK 680i receiver for 600+ people at my university. At then end of the year I was awarded best sound at a dance.

Do yourself a favor, upgrade to the SL-2000 tweeter. Also, you can do what I did to improve to look by adding flexible veneer (I used red oak).

Enjoy them, they are classics.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,789
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Again, the SL2000 tweeter is no upgrade. The Peerless is a much better tweeter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Seriously... the SL1000 is about 10x better than the SL2000. Why would you want to swap out perfectly good 1000's for the POS 2000s? If anything, the upgrade woul dbe to Polks replacement for the Sl2000, but good luck trying to pick a pair up from Polk!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Mea Culpa. I meant the sl-1000 tweeter. Been fifteen years since I owned my 10B's.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

Was I correct in thinking the tweeters in my 10A's are the Peerless? Dimples, black with 45 degree wires?
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    Was I correct in thinking the tweeters in my 10A's are the Peerless? Dimples, black with 45 degree wires?

I think so. The Polk made sl1000 is metalic, not black. If you intend to keep the 10's for long, get a spare from ebay when you see a reasonably good price. These things are no longer manufactured.

-fredv-
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

I agree wholeheartedly. I have no plans of "upgrading"?? these.
    They sound sweet to my ears. And will sound much nicer on tubes. BTW what is the sensitivity rating on the 10A's?
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    I agree wholeheartedly. I have no plans of "upgrading"?? these.
    They sound sweet to my ears. And will sound much nicer on tubes. BTW what is the sensitivity rating on the 10A's?

I bought mine used and don't have manual, but I think it is something lie 89dB.

-fredv-