RT55i's Vs. LSI9's New receiver

Clay19
Clay19 Posts: 27
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Right now I have a pair of RT55i's that i have had for about 2 months, I am currently driving them with a cheap Sony that came with my first HT setup(it was an all-in-one with 5 micro satellites).
In the next few weeks I am going to purchase a new receiver, I have it narrowed to the Harman Kardon HK3470, Denon DRA685, or maybe a separate AMP/Preamp but the latter one seems a bit expensive for me. Which one of the Receivers will put out better sound with my speakers(I know its subjective, but from experience).

Secondly I may upgrade from my RT55i's to the LSI9's a little bit down the road, Is the sound from the LSI's much better than that of the RTi's? I noticed that the LSI's have 5.25" drivers while my RTi's have 6.5" drivers, is the bass any weaker on the LSI's? I noticed the -3dB limit of the RTi's is 3hz lower than that of the LSI's.
-Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
-Musical Designs D-75 Amp
-Polk Ebony LSi9's
-Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
-Velodyne CHT-10
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wakbored
    wakbored Posts: 3
    edited March 2002
    As a dealer of Polk, Harman, and Denon. I would have to ask you a few questions. but more importantly you need to demo both of the recievers so that you get what YOU like not what another person thinks is best for you. That being said for music listening Harman has a couple of technical advantages. First last and only important thing-CURRENT. Current or volts are what moves a speaker, not watts. The higher the current or voltage the more control you have. Since high voltage can kill you (so can current, but you can have high current in your home and still live there) it is not used by audio companies in receivers. So the higher current the more accurate the sound--loosely speaking.

Go to the store with a couple of discs with a couple of track that you really know and disect what you hear. Don't listen for 3 hours and then go home to "really think about it"--in other words do not waste a salepersons time jerking his chain. If you have no intention of buying tell him right away, but if they leave you to make a sale to put some cash in their wallet do not be an ignorant TOOL and get indignant either.

Sorry about the soapbox I got carried away for a moment. Go listen, enjoy and most importantly--BUY!

Todd
  • CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by Clay19
    Secondly I may upgrade from my RT55i's to the LSI9's a little bit down the road, Is the sound from the LSI's much better than that of the RTi's? I noticed that the LSI's have 5.25" drivers while my RTi's have 6.5" drivers, is the bass any weaker on the LSI's? I noticed the -3dB limit of the RTi's is 3hz lower than that of the LSI's.

To hell with those receivers, man... unless you absolutely, positively have to have video switching capability. Bleh!

Get a hybrid MOSFET/tube amplifier for about the same amount of cash. You'll get tube smoothness and musicality of vacuum tubes with the output power of solid state amplifiers.

JoLida Hybrid Amplifiers

These are all integrated. They use vacuum tubes as the preamp stage and MOSFETs for power amplification. $325 will get you a 30/30 watt stereo amp. This is plenty for the RT55i's that have 91db efficiency. For $475 you can play it safe and get 50 wpc. For $575, you can get 100 wpc.

This really is the way to go in your case. These things will sound lightyears better than any receiver you can buy in the sub-$1000 range. :)

If you plan on getting the LSi series, I'd get the 50 watt model for safety... the LSi are not very efficient speakers and need more juice.

-crazyhead-
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    In the next few weeks I am going to purchase a new receiver....or maybe a separate AMP/Preamp but the latter one seems a bit expensive for me.
    Since it sounds like you're only interested in stereo, don't even think about a receiver if you can help it. Since you're on a budget, take a look at some integrated amps (basically an amp and preamp in one, minus a tuner). They're cheaper than separates and significantly better than receivers.
    Is the sound from the LSI's much better than that of the RTi's? I noticed that the LSI's have 5.25" drivers while my RTi's have 6.5" drivers, is the bass any weaker on the LSI's?
    In a word, yes. I have a pair of RT55's on a separates system, and the LSi9's sounded significantly better on an inexpensive receiver-based system with a DVD player. You really need to listen to the two to determine if the LSi9 is worth twice the price of the RT55. If you're even thinking LSi, get the integrated amp. I found the bass output on the LSi9's to be satisfying, but it's hard to compare the bass output since the two rooms these speakers were in are totally different. In my opinion both speakers require a subwoofer.

Aaron
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited March 2002
    If you don't mind much about the used equipments, I have a Lexicon preamp and three Musical Design amps at 75 wpc for sale.
  • Clay19
    edited March 2002
    How much for the amp and preamp, what do you mean by three 75wpc amps, you have 3 monoblock 75w, or 3- 2 channel 75wpc amps?
    -Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
    -Polk Ebony LSi9's
    -Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
    -Velodyne CHT-10
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2002
    BTW, I'd be leary about powering LSi's with one of those recievers. If you do, let me know, I'll start a block poll on how long till it fries out:)

Shep
  • kn505
    edited March 2002
    Sorry for the confusion. It is three 2 channel amps at 75wpc. The amp can be brigded to 150 w.

I would like to sell them for $150 each plus shipping.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    kn-505, are these D-75B's?
  • kn505
    edited March 2002
    I had not used them for about 3 years. If I recall correctly, they are the D-75, not D-75B.
  • Clay19
    edited March 2002
    Shepx2, Which ones are you referring to that you think will be fried by the LSI's? The HK and Denon reciever, or are you talking about the Musical design amps?
    -Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
    -Polk Ebony LSi9's
    -Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
    -Velodyne CHT-10
  • Clay19
    edited March 2002
    KN505 I am interested in one of those amps, please contact me @ CEDURHAM@charlotte.uncc.edu.
    -Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
    -Polk Ebony LSi9's
    -Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
    -Velodyne CHT-10