Amp for Kicker L7

dakotaboy
dakotaboy Posts: 47
edited May 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am now searching for an amp for a 12" kicker L7 with Dual 4-ohm voice coils. I am looking for a cheap amp to power it. I was wondering what you all thought about Profile amps along with audiobahn's. I found a Profile mono 1000m, I was wondering if it would be compatible with the L7 Specifications: AP1000M = Peak Output Power (4 Ohms) is 650W x 1, RMS Output Power (4 Ohms) is 310W x 1, Peak Output Power (2 Ohms) is 1000W x 1 and RMS Output Power (2 Ohms) is 500W x 1...I am a true newbie still seeing as this will be my first amp and sub purchas and install. So please let me know what would work and how it would work. Thanks
Post edited by dakotaboy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    First off, completley disregard peak power ratings. Whether its an amp or speaker. Theyre meaningless.

That amp would be ok for a 12" L7 but it would be a little on the weak side for it. Those things can take 750 watts all day long so 500 wouldnt be enough really.

As for which amp, there is no question you should get this MTX.

Itll make plenty of power to pound a L7 hard and since its on clearance you will not find an amp even close to comparable for $270!! That is a steal!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dakotaboy
    edited May 2005
    Thankyou, what about the HiFonics Brutus amps though? Are they any good? I know understand ohm's and channels how they're set up now, so i'm set on that.
  • dakotaboy
    edited May 2005
    Also, what do you think of profile amps?
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by dakotaboy
    Also, what do you think of profile amps?

hifonics: yes

profile: no

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited May 2005
    Well i helped him out over aim and his budget is kind of low so we found something that worked.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    There is nothing wrong with Profile. They make their rated power cleanly and are built solid. As budget amps go they are among the best.

Hifonics is good stuff too although not one of my favorites.

You will not be able to beat that MTX especially for the money. Thats the best deal to be had.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    There is nothing wrong with Profile. They make their rated power cleanly and are built solid. As budget amps go they are among the best.

Hifonics is good stuff too although not one of my favorites.

You will not be able to beat that MTX especially for the money. Thats the best deal to be had.
    that's one thing he doesn't freaking have after i talked to him... money

there are such things as budgets and even though they suck sometimes we have to abide by them when rec. others gear.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • dakotaboy
    edited May 2005
    Alright I got everything picked out but now I'm really worried, My dad flipped out on me and says if he sees any audio **** in the car that he said I couldnt have hes ripping it out. But I need it lol. The only thing I'm worried about is the stock altentor and battery handling the 900 watt amp. Will this be alright in a 1993 buick century...anybody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    it really shouldn't be a problem... add up all the fuse ratings, if the sum is below 100, you should be able to run it at full volume all day long, if it's more than 100, you won't be able to do full volume for more than a few minutes

obviously, that 100 is a rough estimate, but it shouldn't be an issue.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • dakotaboy
    edited May 2005
    How do I add up all the fude ratings? All I know is that the alternator puts out 105 amps...