what abt Ground?

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited May 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey, from where i need to get the GND of my amplifier? from the battery or just for the Chassis of the car?

(sorry for my dumb question)
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited May 2005
    I am making a huge assumption here, (not really), your ground cable from your battery is attached to your car chasis, firewall, etc. So your chasis is common ground to your (-) terminal...

So, you can hook it up to either, good news for you, personnaly I have my amps (-) ground bolted to the car in the trunk.......whatever you prefer....do unhook your battery first before you start messing with that amp.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Hook your ground to the chassis of the car.

Make sure you get a solid mount, and use a ring terminal.

Also, be sure to sand away all the paint around the area the terminal will mount.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2005
    Rule of thumb... Ground should be same size as the Power...and you really want to keep it within 18"-24" of the amp. Other wise...the chance for noise in the system will increase . (notice I said chance)
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    mmm

thanks guys, but now i dont understand very well :D

TrappedUnder Ice, ur saying that is better to use an wire directly from the batter?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    No. He's saying its best to have the ground no more than 2 feet from your amp.

This is why its best to ground to the chassis.

Pick a spot to ground and make sure the ground wire isnt too long.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    when he says same size, he means same gauge of wire, like if youre using 4 awg for power, then use 4awg for ground as well
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    thanks guys you are the best :)
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by SamSagaZ
    thanks guys you are the best in bed :)
    fixed it.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2005
    in my stay at keeping it simple...guess i should have been more specific. thanx for clearing up the loose ends....hehe