System setup, Amp questions, and...Hi~!

rashad
rashad Posts: 5
edited May 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, Im kinda new, but not really.. just never registered.... i used work for circuit city, and i got some good deals on my MM6 components..which i LOVE... that is what turned me on to polk.

Now, i have gotten a new car (2000 Grand Prix GTP) and i have built a very nice system in this one..

1.) Polk MM6 components in q-logic kicks(i like them so far!)

2.) Polk MM525?(carbon coaxes with passives) in the stock angled door locations..

3.)will probly throw my boston 6x9s in when i feel like it but they will run off the HU

4.)Pioneer DEH-P960MP Premier..beautiful, and has 6.5 v preouts...(was NEVER a pioneer guy, but i am now.. 24bit DAC helps too)

5.) Alpine V-12 5-channel.. this is where it gets interesting...

I need to replace the alpine..just not enough power.. and it needs fixed anyways (two channels arent working so im running the front stage off of 2-channels bridged 2-ohm stereo.)

SO what powerful, clean amps do you reccomend for this setup?

Ive read about bi-amping, but i dont think this is feasible because i would need a 6-channel..PITA?

I would like to at least get a decent four channel, as i have an older Kenwood mono amp that will do 1200rms@1 ohm mono.

I plan on gettin rid of my two mtx 3000's (had them forever and actually like them! sound clean!) and getting one 12 inch MOMO or boston pro.

Any help would be appreciated.. i just dont know which direction to go with my setup as far as amps...

Thanks!'

Rashad.
Post edited by rashad on

Comments

• rashad
    edited May 2005
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Well a 6 channel may not be that big a PITA. This JL Audio is a very powerful 6 channel amp that makes over 70 watts per channel (its quite underrated) and you can get one for around $350.

Other than that, it depends on how much you want to spend. There is the Polk amps of course and also MTX, Crossfire, and Orion.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rashad
    edited May 2005
    Well, money isnt a huge issue, im not worried that 70 per channel wont be enough. Im very picky, and i want to get the most out of my speakers. I DONT want to give them 50 watts like i am now.. even though the alpine is an excellent sounding amp... i just need more Power!:D

Anyone else?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    the mm6 will run very nicely off a C400.4 (which is designed, in part, for this very purpose). i wouldn't bother biamping anything else, i don't think the difference warrants the time/money/energy, so another 4 channels of appropriate power for the bostons and the coaxes would finish it off. whaddya think?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Just find an amp that meets your power requirements.

As far as which brands to choose, I like Polk Audio, JL Audio, Crossfire, MTX, Xtant, and Orion. Look them up and see which one fits your need in power, features and budget. Youll be set.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rashad
    edited May 2005
    well, it would be a nice thing to run 2 polk amps..but at this point ill be needing a better alternator... because then id have a mono amp as well for the sub(s).

So the polk mm6 would run awesome off the 4 channel... biamped..crossovers eliminated... then another 4 channel for the others... hmm...

I gotta say those carbon cone coaxes really sound good.. i love them.

i just cant figure out why no one makes a good clear 200x4 at 4ohms or something... geez. I do NOT want to go 2 ohms stereo, as i can hear the difference in sq...

Im still lost...
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by rashad
    I do NOT want to go 2 ohms stereo, as i can hear the difference in sq...
    that's physically impossible. Human ears can't hear distortion below 2-3%. Going from 4 to 2 ohm stereo doubles distortion, but it's still in the hundredths of a percent. NOBODY can hear that difference.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Not really. An amp rated at .09% THD doesnt mean that amp makes .09% all the time. Rather it means at it's rated power itll make that much THD.

For instance an amp could make 50 watts at .004%, and 75 watts at .09% and 100 watts at .1%.

The THD is more a measure of how hard the amp is being pushed to make that rated power. So when you take an amp down to 2 ohms the THD is generally tripled and that adds up. Yeah itll only make .3% at one point but you push it a little more and itll be over 1% very quickly.

Another reason not to bridge 4 channels is that youre pushing the amp at 100% all the time which also means more heat and just aint the best for an amp I believe.

As for 200 watt 4 channels, this Kicker would be a good choice. Itll make nearly 200 watts per channel cleanly but it costs $650!

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    i suppose that you could concievably hear the difference, under the right conditions... say if you had a bunch of components in the chain, you'd get a bit of distortion from each, and doubling the THD of the amp could possibly push the distortion into the audible range if it was just barely inaudible before. just throwing a scenario out there.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod Not really. An amp rated at .09% THD doesnt mean that amp makes .09% all the time. Rather it means at it's rated power itll make that much THD.
    Yes, at its rated power. That's the most power the amp will put out, thus the max distortion number - unless you push the amp into clipping. The distortion will be lower at lower volumes.
    In other words, if the amp is rated at .03% @ full power, you'll only have that much distortion at full power. Drop the volume 3dB, and you've cut the power output in half. People rarely listen with the amp at full power. Especially w/ 200 Watts. You'll quickly go deaf, thus making distortion even less of a problem. Don't matter how much distortion there is if you can't hear :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • 96montecarlo
    96montecarlo Posts: 17
    edited May 2005
    i got a 1200w sony 2/1 channel i'm tryin to sell if you think you want it. I know you wanted a 4 chan but just gettin it out there. It's the one on bestbuys site for like 200.
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Yes, at its rated power. That's the most power the amp will put out, thus the max distortion number - unless you push the amp into clipping. The distortion will be lower at lower volumes.
    In other words, if the amp is rated at .03% @ full power, you'll only have that much distortion at full power. Drop the volume 3dB, and you've cut the power output in half. People rarely listen with the amp at full power. Especially w/ 200 Watts. You'll quickly go deaf, thus making distortion even less of a problem. Don't matter how much distortion there is if you can't hear :)

Nope. Thats not the max numbers. An amp that is rated at 100 watts at .09% THD can make more power. An amp can make much more power than its rated at. When you clip an amp it makes more than double its rated power although at about 10% distortion.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    I dont anyone who can tell the difference b/t 2 or 4 ohm stereo, but i know a few people who can tell the difference b/t class d and class ab amps. a friend of mine tested me on his **** and i could barely tell which one was the ab and which one was the d. but i have yet to have anyone say they can tell the difference b/t 2 and 4 ohm stereo...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    I dont anyone who can tell the difference b/t 2 or 4 ohm stereo, but i know a few people who can tell the difference b/t class d and class ab amps. a friend of mine tested me on his **** and i could barely tell which one was the ab and which one was the d. but i have yet to have anyone say they can tell the difference b/t 2 and 4 ohm stereo...
    -Cody

I buy that. Most amps are made well enough that they make minimal distortion even when cranked, even Class D's.

I just dont like running an amp balls to the walls except for subs. Maybe it just makes me "feel" cleaner! :D

• rashad
    edited May 2005
    well, perhaps i will just fix my alpine and run the four channels to the front stage.. at 4-ohms stereo.. at least ill have some control over the two pairs.