A garage discovery

jpayne
jpayne Posts: 15
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I had some Air Force friends years ago who sold my two Polk Audio SDA2 speakers (for $50). I used them but had to store them (carefully) in the garage when I got married and combinded homes. My 17 year old nephew wants them for graduation. I dedided to look them up and was floored when I discovered what this site says I have. I do not have a crossover wire and manual. Are these truly the quality and value noted here? If so, I am thinking of selling them and giving him the money for a car (which is what he REALLY wanted for HS graduation.) I would appreciate any info and thoughts on my discovery and feedback on where such items might be apprecitated. I understand collecting and using vintage audio as I still use my old Pioneer PL-400 turntable. My record collection even has 2 copies of Jefferson Airplane's Long John Silver that never had the covers made into stash boxes. If there speakers are treasures I want them to go to someone who will treasure them.

Thanks,

Jim:)
Jim Payne
Computers were created by God in punishment
for Man's hubris.
Post edited by jpayne on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2005
    Have you been using these speakers without the interconnect? If so, you haven't experienced anything yet!

You can fetch a pretty penny for those, but the question is... do y ou want to?!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited May 2005
    Wish my garage had a discovery like that.:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • jpayne
    edited May 2005
    I used them without the interconnect and they sound great. My current "big" speakers for the Denon system are Boston Acoustic A150's. I'm thinking maybe THEY should go in the garage, find an interconnect and put the Polk's in the living room. Can you imagine watching and listening to "We Were Soldiers" with that?
    No, these, I think stay here and I try to get the interconnect and get my nephew something else...maybe give HIM the BA A150's!?

I have been browsing the site looking for a manual and a source for the interconnect. Any leads very welcome!

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Payne
    for Man's hubris.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2005
    You NEED the interconnect. Without it, you are not experiencing any SDA effect, and in fact, you are only moving half the drivers. Search.... it is your friend :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2005
    I'll give you your $50 back for those speakers. ;)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • jpayne
    edited May 2005
    I have gone over these speakers in detail and find some interesting things:

1. Marked Right Channel Serial # R SDA 11 5713

2. ALSO marked Right Channel Serial # R SDA 11 9719

I am wondering if my friends had 2 sets and accidentally gave me both Rights?

What does this do to their use and sound (I do have interconnect coming which may be useless as **** on a boar hog now.) Or would they still kick ****. I used them for a while and they have a bass response that I hadn't heard in years (used to have a set of BIC 6's)

What options would I have for selling them (which I am seriously thinking of doing since I have more audio stuff interlaced with a PC/MAC home network in addition to my home theatre set up.

What would be a fair and honest price to ask in this case (I would shoot HQ digital shots from all angles.) And where does one put out the word of "POLK for SALE?"

Ebay is not something that I want to mess with. I prefer a clean honest deal between two people.

I welcome your feedback and any ideas you can share.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Payne
    for Man's hubris.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2005
    looks like you got 2 right channel speakers.

I had this happen one time, on the speaker you have on the left channel, you can swap the stereo drivers and SDA drivers to the otherside of the speaker cabinet, be sure to move the speaker wires also!
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by jpayne
    And where does one put out the word of "POLK for SALE?"

Try posting them here in the Flea Market
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jpayne
    edited May 2005
    Ah, so I can do something to right the situation. My next question is where can I best find the information to do this correctly? Please forgive my newby speaker mode, but before this all I have ever done is replace and cone or two.

Swapping the stereo drivers and SDA drivers sounds like opening the cabinet and doing it right the first time. The wires I understand. Polk emailed a basic how to connect booklet but nothing like this was covered. Is this something I want to call their tech people on or would someone out there have a "how to" guide?
    Whether I keep them or sell them I want them to be in perfect working order. Thanks to all who have replied.
    Don't forget to look in the dark corners of your garage; God knows what you will find!

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim Payne
    for Man's hubris.