Amps...Sub....Amps...Sub, I'm so confused

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
After looking at these new subs, thanks to Russ, I am torn. New Sub or 3 mono-blocks. What would you do. I'm happy with my current sound and bass, but I want to upgrade something...NOW!

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Ron, there's only one solution: both!

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2002
    Truth is, you are going to both anyway, eventually. Going 3 monoblocks, you are still going to use your receiver. If you went with a new sub, you would sell your current model....(right?)

I say, from a financial standpoint, do the sub. If not for any reason than to get the most $ for the one you have now, as it will age, with more and more updated, or newer models coming out....

If you are going to cash in the sub, do it now, and get the most out of the deal...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    i vote for the marantz monoblocks!

of course i went with upgrading my sub first before amplification, but then again my last sub was a POS. you seem pretty happy with your velodyne's performance , and you've been wanting those monos longer than a new sub, how long have you wanted a new sub for now, 16 hrs. or so?:D those mono's are sweet, and put out oh so effortless sound...

of course, aaron has the best solution, upgrade both!!!:D
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Amps Ron. It will be as good an ugrade as having your Mits tweaked by ISF. Your fronts and center are rated at 250 your giving them about 110 now. Wake them up, you will have so much more definition and clarity.
    Chris :)
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    I have decided...

I am going to take on my first D.I.Y. sonotube sub. http://members.tripod.com/~terryctheater/shivaphotoalbum/page12.html
    Check that link above for massive amouts of info on sonotube subs and project pictures. With most saying unmatched preformance to anything store bought, seems like a good project. Why not? I plan on going thru all those links and gathering all the info I can. I've got the tools, I love woodworking, it's cheaper than buying one in the store. Seems right up my alley.

This way, I can buy my amps now and build the sub over a couple month period.

If...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    Ron-P
    RonSig2.jpg
    The Bob Villa of Club Polk!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    great decision ron! good luck with the DIY sub...:D

so, how soon are the mono's coming home?
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    Good one shack.

Juice, the monoblocks will be here right around the 1st of May, my B-Day. I've got enough green for one and May is an extra paycheck month for us, so my wife and I split it for fun money. That will more than cover me for the other two. The amp light at the end of the tunnel is getting very bright.

Plus, I 'm am really excited about getting the SonoSub going. Next weekend I am picking up the sonotube and other needed materials. I'll most likely build it close to the size of the SVS, 16" in dia. by 40" tall.

I just organized and cleaned out the gargae today in prep of the materials arriving:)

If...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    Ron-P,
    I think you have the same Marantz receiver I have. SR5000 i like it. but find it underpowered three years after I bought it. It was fine and still sounds like no other receiver.. the "Marantz" sound is very clean i've found.
    So little by little it's time to begin the upgrade process. I just added a Toshiba SD4700 for DVD audio. DVD audio and it's 24 bit DAC are very nice sounding.

I too just bought some mono blocks.. thanks to a high recommendation from juice21. I was torn between the mono blocks and a new HSU VTF-2 sub. I got two mono blocks this time with the other three in a month or two down the road. The sub will have to wait till summer or fall at least.

the mono blocks i ordered should be here in about 10 days or so. of course I am about to pee my pants, because it's going to be a long 10 days. ugh!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • CHRIS
    edited March 2002
    Good choice man!
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    Well, the sub project is now under way (sort of). I just ordered the amp from parts express. 250 Watt

I'm going to order a 12" Tempest subwoofer. Then, all I need is the construction materials. All-in-all, the project should bring me in under $400. Half the cost of an SVS and I should get equal if not better preformance.

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    I canceled my amp order and ordered a 12" Shiva driver and bought my sonotube. What I am going to do is build the subwoofer and test it using the amp off my Velodyne. It is nearly identical to the one I had ordered, just a bit weaker. This will allow me time to build it and test it without an amp just laying around. Then I will order a larger amp and sell the velo. I'll most likely get started this weekend. I'll post progress pics as I go along.

If...
  • mark g. nelson
    mark g. nelson Posts: 134
    edited March 2002
    Where are you guys ordering your mono blocks from? What is a good price for them. Thanks
    Mark
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    i've never ordered, i just go and listen at a local hi-fi shop...

MA500/700's can be found used on ebay, audiogon, and other hi-fi classified websites. the MA6100's can be found online for $199 @ AC4L (refurbished?) or at elegant audio video for $239
  • CHRIS
    edited March 2002
    Did you ever think of getting 2 Velodyne ULD replacement drivers with the servo? (Hence the page you got yesterday.) Then 2 of their amps for the ULD, could be an awsome setup. Plus not holes in the side of the tube for an amp. Just a thought man.