2004 Toyota 4Runner install questions

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited May 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm wanting to upgrade my car stereo piece by piece, a little at a time - I have several questions:

1 - What is going to give me the biggest improvement - installing a new head unit or installing new speakers?

2 - Is there a website or reference that will tell me what's in there now? For front speakers, I know that I have 6x9 components in the door (6x9 down low and a tweeter right below the window), looks like 5.25 for the rears. I have no clue what kind or quality of speakers are in there now - they don't sound too bad.

3 - If I choose to change the radio, is there a way I can keep my sterring wheel controls? If I'm going to loose those controls, then changing the radio won't be an option because the wife likes those too much, which leads to question 4

4 - If I can't change the stereo, should I even bother with the speakers?

5 - I helped install a radio in my friend's 2002 Silverado this weeken, and www.installdr.com was a big help with basic directions, but there's nothing on there for my car, any ideas where else I might find some information - my biggest concern is figuring out how to get the dash or whatever off to get the radio out.

OK, think that's it...thanks for any help...
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    1- Speakers. Speakers are the most important part of your system.

2- Polk Audio fit guide.

3- Um, thats a little beyond my limited abilities so Ill refer you to your local shop. They will be able to tell you better. Im 99% sure tho that they could come up with something to keep your steeringwheel controls in tact.

4- Absolutely. Even running off crappy deck power, a good set of aftermarket speakers will sound 50 times better than the crappy stock speakers.

5- Again, check your local shop. Those guys do this for a living and most will know their stuff inside and out. Also Crutchfield has a lot of info on basic installs. You should look around their site.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited May 2005
    I believe that there are kits, or harnesses, or something, that you can still keep your steering wheel controls. Check on Crutchfield and Sounddomain, if not there, then a local shop.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2005
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

I've checked the Polk speaker fit guide, but unfortunately it's inaccurate for my vehicle. it's telling me that I should be using 5.25 or 6.5 for the fronts, but I know my fronts are 6x9 with a separate tweeter - I'm assuming they have some type of xover in the door or elsewhere for the fronts.

It doesn't look like Polk carries a 6x9 component system, probably because there isn't much demand for one. I want to keep a 6x9 speaker up front because I get a decent bass response this way, and I'm not looking to add a sub.

Does anyone know of a good 6x9 component system? My guess is there probably aren't any, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if there's a way to get specifics about what is in my vehicle - i.e. specs on my radio and the speakers I have in there now, but I don't even know where to start....
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2005
    Oh, and it looks like I've got the sterring wheel control problem resolved should I choose to put a new radio in...

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited May 2005
    what fits my car give this a try usually pretty acurate
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2005
    I tried that yesterday with no results for front door speakers, tried it again now with the exact same settings, and voila! - I have results.

If you hadn't posted the link, I would not have tried it again, so thanks.

Now I just need to decide what I'm going to do for speakers...

I know I'd get a little better clarity with the 6.5 Momo components, but I'm not going to be adding a sub to the mix, and I wonder how those would do on their own...

Time to do some research...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2005
    another question...

Does anyone know if I can add an amp to my factory radio?
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited May 2005
    yes with hi to lo convertors
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • spwuinmk67
    edited May 2005
    You would need a line level converter to use a factory HU with aftermarket amps. You really should upgrade the HU, you get better features and more options, but it's not necessary. That steering wheel control thing you found is specific for Alpine HU's, so if you decide to go with another company, make sure you find the right one. MB Quart has some 6x9 components in their Reference line, so you might want to look into that.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2005
    Great info, thanks.

It looks like there are some of those MB speakers on ebay, so I may check them out - would have never found that if you hadn't mentioned it.

Eventually Ill be upgrading the HU as well, but I gotta start somewhere, and it seems a good place to start will be speakers (and maybe adding an amp)

How does the Mb Quart stuff compare to Polk?
  • spwuinmk67
    edited May 2005
    MB Quart is great stuff, I own a set of the Q series components, and I love them. As far as their Reference line in comparison to any of the Polk models, I can't give any comment on that, Mac or one of the other guys might be able to...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    MB Quart is the shiznit! They are my presonal favorite line of speakers.

The Reference line is comparable to the Momo line from Polk. Those 6x9 Reference components sound damn good. Ive only heard them on a soundboard but I prefer them over the 6.5 components.

Let me the first to reassure you that sticking with 6x9s is NOT a bad idea. A quality set of 6x9s sound just as good as a round speaker but with more midbass. I had a set of Polk 6x9s before I got the MM6's and I like the 6x9 mids better than my beloved MM6's!

That being said, you absolutely sure you got 6x9s? As far as I knew, Dodge was the only ones to put 6x9s in the front doors. I checked on the Crutchfield fit guide and it too said youve got 6.5's.

One possibility is that you have very thin 6x9s and a typical aftermarket 6x9s will be too deep for your doors. That was the problem I ran into with mine. I had to fabricate a spacer and hack out some of the door and they still barely fit. Ya might want to check on that before springing for a set of 6x9s.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2005
    Yep, I'm sure I have the 6x9 up there...the Crutchfield and Polk sites both have my vehicle info wrong...well sorta...

I also found this website...it's for a 2003, but it's the same as mine on the inside...

http://people.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4runner/4runner2003.htm

I fired an email off to MB Quart to try and get dimensions on those 6x9. I already know I'm going to have to do a little fabrication because those tweeters in that set are .75" and the ones in there now are 1" stock, so I'll have to rig something up...

I'd really like to go the 6x9 route if I can because those dig a bit deeper, and would give me a decent full sound...like I said I'm not adding a sub to this mix. I did the sub thing with a Momo 12" when I had the Jeep, and loved it, but hated taking it out everytime I needed the back of the vehicle, which is quit often because we go camping and stuff often...

Anyway, I'll wait to hear back from MB Quart and go from there...

Thanks again for the suggestions...