MMC5250/C300.2 set up

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have two sets of MMC5250s and two C300.2s. My problem is that the tweeters are way too bright. I already have the crossovers set to -6db and when you turn down the highs on the crossovers it just sounds like crap. I am guessing that is because it is taking away too much of the higher frequencies coming from the mid range drivers as well as the power for the tweeters. Right now one amp is wired to the front speakers and one the the rear.
My question is should I make one amp for the tweeters only and one amp for the mid ranges? This is the only way I can think of to turn down the tweeters while keeping the higher frequency sounds still going to the mid ranges.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Id give it a while first. Polk speakers sound very bright when new. I think this is due more to the fact that the mid need to break in and when new it sounds very thin and this gives the speakers a bright sound. My MM6's were the same way. I was not real thrilled with their sound at first but after a month or so they filled out just right and now theyre my favorite speaker Ive ever owned.

Keeping the attenuator on -6 db is right as youll almost always use that setting for most any speaker.

Give it a while and let the mids break in good and I will be willing to bet itll sound better.

Also, you arent getting too much high end out of the mids. Theyre crossed at 3500 Hz isnt going to allow too much in the high end thru.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nick w
    nick w Posts: 2
    edited May 2005
    i have had these speakers in my car for close to a month now and have tried every possible thing i could think of besides this. Yesterday i got bored and decided to switch it over. about 12 hours later the amp that was powering my mid range drivers quit working in mid song and started smoking. It did sound a million times better right up untill it quit working.
    I took the amp out and there is a black burn mark around... i have no idea what it is.

any ideas on what to do?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2005
    Oops......bummer. I haven't a clue.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    A black mark around what?

If something is leaving a black mark then youve done something really wrong.

The power wire is the first culprit. It is my guess it has become frayed and is shorting out on something.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nick w
    nick w Posts: 2
    edited May 2005
    If you take the cover off of the amp it is a black box that is about 1 cm x 1 cm x 0.3 cm. there are three wires coming out of it that are more like strips of metal. There are 8 of them in a row and they are on the side of the circuit board. It was labeled with a Q
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Thats beyond me.

I suggest contacting Polk customer service.

Still sounds like a short to me but its possible something in the amp gave up the ghost. Either way, Polk CS will be much more qualified to help you.

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    ahh... you blew a transistor (one of the thingies that makes the music louder). you could have gotten a bad one; an electronics place could put a new one in (the exact same piece, polk may be able to provide one). perhaps that'll work.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    You need to check in more often bro. Youre the smart one of us regulars. ;)

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    i just got home from school and got our new DSL installed... it's still not perfect, tho, so who knows how often i'll be on... but i do start work tomorrow, so i'll have some free time there :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs