Music Hall MM5

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm looking to pick up a turntable for the LR rig......I'm considering the Music Hall MM5

Anyone have any experience with it?

Other recommendations??

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero
    The MM5 just isn't in the same ballpark.

How about in the same factory? Music Hall turntables are made from parts available in the factory in the Czech Republic that makes Pro-Ject turntables and share motors, tonearms, etc. The differences between their turntables in similar price levels are in parts selection, with the Music Hall turntables generally getting slightly better parts and costing slightly more as a result. Both Pro-Ject and MMF series turntables are very favorably reviewed. I have a friend who has an MMF5 and I would have been happy with that as an entry level turntable. Both the Pro-Ject and MMF5 would benefit from cartridge upgrades, but then they would end up costing a lot more.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    Options
    TD,

If you've decided to go new, can't help you. On the other hand, if vintage is in the running...

Are you looking to stay under $500?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Of course vintage is ALWAYS a possibility....

Yes, 500 is the magic #

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Goldring GR-1. Essentially a plain-clothed Rega P2 with RB250 Tonearm. Has the GR Elektra MM cart also.

Get the entire table for about what you would pay for the tonearm and cart alone - $399~
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.