LS 90 problem

Options
merlyny2k
merlyny2k Posts: 3
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
hi,
i have a problem with my LS 90's. some of the grill frame mounting pins were broken when the speakers were shipped to me. part of some of the pins are jammed inside the mounting holes where they broke off and i don't know how to get them out. does anyone have any experience in removing broken pins without damaging the speaker holes or cabinets. i was able to acquire some new frames from polk and would like to replace the old frames. thanks in advance for any help!
Post edited by merlyny2k on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Hmmm... you can't grab 'em w/ a pair of needlenose pliers?

Not really sure what to tell you...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • merlyny2k
    merlyny2k Posts: 3
    edited May 2005
    Options
    No, they are jammed in too far! thanks for your suggestion, though!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Are they blind holes (don't go all the way through)?

A seal pick (think dental tools) could work to pry it out. Or drill a small hole in the broken piece and using a screw with threads slightly larger then the hole, screw it in a short distance and pull it out with pliers. If you use too big of a screw, it can expand the broken piece and make it hold tighter.

Of course when tools are involved, one definitely has to be careful.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2005
    Options
    heat up a drywall screw of course while holding it with pliers... once its red hot push it in the broken tab far as possible.. let it cool and slowly pull it out... i say drywall screw because they have a sharp nice point and nice bite from the threads...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp