SDA problemo

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
OK. you all know by now that i just got a pair of SDA SRS's. cool.. look good and everything..

Well, today.. after hooking them up and doing some tests... i seem to be having a problem with the Left SDA. Some of the drivers are not firing like they should. The outside mids work fine.. the tweeters and the inside mids have no sound coming from them.

Very strange.

THe right SDA works perfect.. all drivers working as they should.

I am using the SDA cable with is a blade/blade connector.. it looks fine too.. i switched it around on the speakers.. just to be sure it wasn't backwords... still some of the drivers in the Left speaker aren't working.

Any tests I can do to check it out? I also noticed that the balance knob doesn't have any affect on the Left or Right channel.

With the tweeters and the inside mids not working correctly.. the sound is way off balance on the right of course.

Do you think something got fried in transport.. or when i hooked everything up today.. like it blew some transistor or poly switch?

thanks, Al
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• danger boy
    edited May 2005
    I did some more fiddling around... and this is what i've found out now.

The left speaker is ONLY getting power or juice from the SDA cable. when i disconnect the cable.. none of the drivers fire. Hmmmmm? Maybe my amp is DOA ?? at least the left channel.

I'm going downstairs to do some more tests.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited May 2005
    did you try hooking the right channel to the left speaker just to make sure if it is the amp or not?
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    yes i did.. and when i do that.. it does work.. and sounds good.. i think it has something to do with the pre amp i'm using.

I'm going to try swapping it out with an integrated amp.. and see what the results are.

The Dynaco pre amp.. has both a stereo and mono mode.. when i use the mono. both speakers work fine.. albiet in mono.. so that affirms that the amp is working.. i'll try another pre amp.. and see what happens. if it's the same thing. then i'll have to go from there.

it's a work in progress...

did you hook up the SVS yet? :D
  • masanz1
    edited May 2005
    yes i did, great sounding sub, it blends perfectly with my system. It is almost an addicting bass.
    Matthew

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Ok. i'm stumped now.

I've tried two different power amps with a pre amp.

then i tried a integrated amp on it's own.. still the same problem.

I'm thinking it might be a grounding problem or something.

The Adcom amp got really hot.. not warm.. HOT. The NAD amp... got warmer than usual, but not hot.

The integrated yeilded the same results.. the right channel speaker works fine.. the left one only gets sound from the right one.. so only the SDA mids work in that one.. it's not the drivers i know. When i swap speaker wires.... then the left one works fine. but the right on doesn't.

very strange. I'm out of ideas.

aren't both the left and right speaker suppose to work just like other speakers if you remove the SDA cable? when i do then no drivers work in one speaker anymore..
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    When you swap channels to see if the problem follows the speaker (which it doesn't, indicating a problem before the speaker), are you swapping speaker cables at the amp or the speakers? If at the amp, check continuity on your speaker cable. Sounds like a bad, or broken connection in the cable or terminations. It's the only thing that seems plausible.
  • masanz1
    edited May 2005
    maybe try switching speaker wire???? Make sure the biwire jumper isn't grounding against something. Pretty strange.
    Matthew

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • masanz1
    edited May 2005
    jinx you owe me a coke :D
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    When you swap channels to see if the problem follows the speaker (which it doesn't, indicating a problem before the speaker), are you swapping speaker cables at the amp or the speakers? If at the amp, check continuity on your speaker cable. Sounds like a bad, or broken connection in the cable or terminations. It's the only thing that seems plausible.
    Matthew

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    Take a peek inside the problem one starting with the terminal post plate, then the crossover. Loose wire sounds like a real possibility.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    NO flippin way.

guess what it was?

a bad interconnect. last time i use a RS IC. lol

Swapped it out with a nice Signal Cable. and as Emeril would say.. BAM! SDA heaven again. :eek: :D

thanks for everyones help.

boy do i feel like a dweeb noobie. :rolleyes:

I guess i should have started with the IC in the first place.

anyways.. i'm outtta here for a good long time. got to get my listen on.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Glad to hear all is well.

Enjoy and we'll see you whenever...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2005
    I really wanted to help, but had much more fun thinking about DB doing all these things....I knew he would start thinking at some point :)

Rock on Al! BTW Mr. Photo....how about a picture with that cool Polk banner?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited May 2005
    Doro - Danger once used a drill to remove the plastic caps on his binding posts. Feel free to jump in sooner. ;>}

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    Doro - Danger once used a drill to remove the plastic caps on his binding posts. Feel free to jump in sooner. ;>}

Hush now! ;)

Lets not go there again. Yes it was me. for those of you who don't remember. I used a power drill to remove the caps on the 5 way binding posts.. including safety goggles. :confused:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2005
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

A friggen drill, thanks Al I needed that.

So.......................... how you digging them speaks and that NAD ran my SDA with no problem, the getting a little warmer with the 4 ohm load is normal, just allow for a bit of ventalation, there is a switch on the back you have to set for the 4 ohm load.

RT1
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    RT1 things have smoothed out.. the NAD has no problem with the 4ohm load. it's interesting what amp work and which don't.

I have a 1977 Yamaha int amp.. 45wpc.. no problem either running the SRS's doesn't even heat up.

Then i hooked up a Adcom GFA 5400 and damn.. that thing was near melting stage within about 10 minutes.. i mean really hot on the side where the transformer is.. and the yellow clipping lights began to flash as soon as I turned it on and had the volume down low. The Adcom is rated at 200wpc @ 4ohm load. :confused:

but yeah.. i'm very happy with their sound. right now.. hooked up for 2 ch only.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Al.

Despite what I and others told you in the "FS" thread, I think the Adcom is tell you it is not a common ground amp...

Check it with a VOM before trying to use it again.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Bruce,

I think you're right about the Adcom. I don't intend on using it with the SDA's. The NAD will be the amp used. It runs much cooler.... and no clipping/overload.

VOM = volt meter? how much do they run?
  • jcmccorm
    jcmccorm Posts: 103
    edited May 2005
    I'm not sure you could do this with the 5400, but I got confirmation from Adcom that it was ok to connect the two output GND terminals together on my 5802. Worked like a champ.

Cary
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Ummmm the SDA's toasted the left channel of my Adcom GFA 5400... right channel is fine.. left channel is just distortion.

I checked out the fuse.. it's fine. so something fried the left channel only. I think it was the 4ohm load or the intense heat build up. CRAPOLA!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited May 2005
    No, it was because it's a non-common ground amp. You probably fried the output devices.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2005
    Be careful, DB. Some have had issues using NAD amps with their SDAs. You may want to research it fully before you drive them hard. Not all models have common grounds. If the amps get warmer than usual even at low volumes, you may later have issues.

Slow baking has the same end result as quick fried when it comes to non-common ground amps. $60-$80/hr bench fees!

BTW, VOMs can be had for under $10 even at Walmart. They will check for continuity.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    I prefer deep fried over quick fried. :rolleyes:
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Sorry, Al... we should have caught this.

As Cary indicated, we've been down the Adcom/ SDA road before...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• danger boy
    edited May 2005
    it's no ones fault.. if that's the worst thing that happend this past weekend, then it's not half bad. I did still get a nice pair of SRS's in da house. :D

The NAD seems to be working fine.. no heat or clipping issues.