MTX or Polk ?

2»

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Right. The Crossfires were more detailed because they made much more power than the previous Alpines which brought out little tiny details out of the speakers.
    a lot of people will disagree with that, even Chris (Geolemon). A speaker will sound the same with 10 watts or 100 watts. Its just a matter of loudness.

amps sound different...richard clark is a ****
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Right. It was the extra "loudness" of subtle parts of the recording that a mere 40 watts couldnt bring out as much as 75 watts could. Thus the extra power brought out more detail.

Yes, amps do sound different. A 500 watt Class D amp will sound different from a 50 watt stereo amp. I have NEVER claimed that all amps are the same. All I have ever said is that if compared equally (same power, same settings ect) the sonic differences will be inaudible. Nobody has ever claimed that you should shun the $500 Xtants and USAmps for $100 Crunch amps. A more expensive amp will make much more power, be more durable, have less noise, last much longer and have better features. It just wont sound "brighter" than another amp.

Explain something to me. Why is RC a ****? It may suprise you to know he aint the first one to say this nor did he set up this test.

This whole argument and the amp challenge started out in the home audio arena back in the 80's. At this big convention a test was set up and monitored by a home audio magazine (Absolute Sound I think) that were big proponents of the "warm" sounding amps and "open" sounding cables. Over 200 professional audio engineers took the test. Well guess what? The results were virtually 50/50 which is scientifically the same results as guessing. All hell broke loose and the excuses flew. (On another note, they also tested exotic cable against the same type wires used to wire a house. Results? Virtually 50/50)

Belief without proof is religion. :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited May 2005
    :)

well, im finishing my fiber work wor the subs and next week ill buy my first amp (the polk c400.4) so i dont will biamp right now, ill use 2 channels for the front speakers and the another channels for the Subwoofer.....

so ill use 75 Watts for each component and 200 Watts for one Sub, right?

how will be the best connection? i need to still using the MMC6500 Xover?

hope someone can tellme the best configuration ....

just to remember, i have 2 SVC MM2124 and an pair of MMC6500....

later in the furute ill buy the MTX T810D but i cant now,.. so i dont know how connect at least one Sub and the components with the c400.4

Thanks for any tip
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2005
    I don't see anything wrong with what you're wanting to do. You can use the front two channels of the amp for your MMC6500s, and the back two channels for your sub. You will need to use the crossovers that came with your MMC6500s. You're fiberglassing your subs? Show us some pics of your work!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    oh, i found the manual of the amp in the polk website.... :)

and i found 2 diferents configurations........

i think that dont will be enough to use the both subs, right?
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    yes, im fiberglassing my subs... is the first time that i do something like that
    its not look so professional, but i like it :D

ill finish tomorrow to paint it
    so ill show u some pics
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    an pic, please dont LOL, is my first try :)

and im not a PRO...

Ciruela1.jpg
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    looks damn good to me:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    thanks.,..... th only problem is the volumen... its like 50L instead 25 :(

i was thinking abt fill the inside of the box with "glass wool" dont know if its right writed... its used in the roofs :)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Looks pretty good bro. Youve done a much better job than I could for my first try! However that aint saying much.

The Polk C400.4 puts out quite a bit more than 75 per channel. More like 90 so youll be getting more than you think. However running 90 to each sub will be kinda puny.

It wont hurt anything and it wont sound like crap, you just wont be getting much output from them. But since itll only be temporary itll be just dandy! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2005
    that looks really good man. It turned out well. I'll be building my own fiberglass sub box this week. I've been really busy painting on the rest of my Spectrum. I've got every plastic panel in my car removed except the two panels around my rear windows, plus my whole rear seat is gone. It's been kinda fun. :) Anyway, as soon as my SecondSkin is all on, I'll be starting on my fiberglass box. Pics of everything will ensue.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    ok so i will be use both subs :)

last question... is ok to fill the inside of the box with the "glass wool"?

as i say in today my box is like 50L instead 25 :(
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2005
    what is glass wool? The leftover fiberglass mat? That wouldn't do much. Better off using some expanding foam or something more solid than glass wool...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    yes i was thinking abt expandind foam too, but i have like 50ft of the wool glass in my house... but myabe the best chois is the foam.....

some pics abt glass wool
    http://www.azuzice.co.yu/termo.htm
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    i can kinda see the glass mat acting like polyfill... i think the expanding foam is a better idea.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • SamSagaZ
    edited May 2005
    sure, ... i already fill the inside of the box with the foam and after fill it with water (to measure the LT) i have 20 :S ill need to cut the foam a little :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2005
    i have an MTX 801D amp, and i've had it for two years, running along with a MTX 404 amp. it is great. i have never had a problem with this amp, and it sounds better then everything tested against. the weird thing is, im getting a new car with a new system set up. and im 90% sure im getting the polk amp, the same exact one. ironic? I'd say!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing